Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an o7 jk Sahara with 80k on the clocks, the brake rotors are nearly at the end of their use. My question is what brand would you upgrade to or would you just stick with the stock bits?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Depends on the driving you do. The mouse motor isn't going to get you going to fast and from an experience or two, the stock brakes seem to haul the 4300lbs beast to rest fairly well. I think you'd have to spend a fair amount of money to get a noticeable improvement. I replaced the rear rotors at 95k, the pads two times in a 105k. The front rotors are still stock and appear to be holding up well and have replaced the pads once in 95k. Personally, I'd stay stock and save the money. I'm sure other will chime in.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
stock size tires? Id just get OEM. anything much bigger than that and you might want to consider something else. teraflex makes some nice rotors.

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have 33's so not a huge jump. Right now everything is stock on the brakes and I really have no complaints. I just really wanted to see what others thought and what their experiences have been. I do some trails but mostly it's my DD.

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts
you'd be fine replacing it with stock components. I have the TeraFlex big brake kit. (just the rotor and caliper bracket) and there is a noticeable difference. if you're looking for increased stopping power that's a nice way to go.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Duralast at AutoZone are $29.99 each. I don't know what Chrysler wants for them but I would guess you could add a One to the front of that price.:mooning:

·
Registered
453 Posts
If I was going to replace my rotors , I would get Hawk. I installed their brake pads and I'm happy. Once my rotors go , I would upgrade to them.

·
Registered
11,035 Posts
another option I'll throw out there because of how much I've seen it is to get a set of black magic break pads and centric rotors (I only list centric because they are on bmbp's site, I think any quality rotor will do). Not quite as pricey as stepping up to the big break kit, but still an improvement over stock.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I've read online that off roaders should avoid drilled rotors. Mud or other debris can get lodged in there

Any thoughts about this?

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts
I've read online that off roaders should avoid drilled rotors. Mud or other debris can get lodged in there

Any thoughts about this?
first I've heard of it... thinking though, it does make a bit of sense. built up debris in the rotor and around the wheel can lead to all sorts of issues stopping and with performance when you're driving off the trail back home.

as a good practice I try to power wash my rig on the way home if the trail was real muddy. I would think if you did the same the rotors wouldn't be a major concern.. but it's worth consideration when buying...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts