Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently had the Mopar big brake kit installed on my 2016 JKU. I just installed the Teraflex rear big brake kit with Hawk LTS rear pads. I couldn't get the new calipers to fit over the new pads with the back plates (shim) on the pads attached. I measured the factory pads thickness with a caliper and found the new Hawk pads to be the same thickness with the plate removed.

I installed with the shims removed. I now notice a chirping sound while driving. The noise does not go away when the brakes are applied. Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
i recently had the Mopar big brake kit installed on my 2016 JKU. I just installed the Teraflex rear big brake kit with Hawk LTS rear pads. I couldn't get the new calipers to fit over the new pads with the back plates (shim) on the pads attached. I measured the factory pads thickness with a caliper and found the new Hawk pads to be the same thickness with the plate removed.

I installed with the shims removed. I now notice a chirping sound while driving. The noise does not go away when the brakes are applied. Suggestions?
Unless your old mopar pads are brand new they are bound to be worn thinner. Did you compress the pistons in the caliper all the way? I just did the tf rear on mine and used power stop pads and no issue. I'm betting you didn't get the pistons fully contracted.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unless your old mopar pads are brand new they are bound to be worn thinner. Did you compress the pistons in the caliper all the way? I just did the tf rear on mine and used power stop pads and no issue. I'm betting you didn't get the pistons fully contracted.
Bingo! Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are welcome, I wrote that fast and later I was concerned it came off harsh . I'm doing the same setup on my jeep just waiting for the opportunity to do the front. I have it all in boxes waiting to go. How does it stop?
I didn't take it as harsh. I appreciate the answer. I've no experience doing this and thought the video install instructions look easy enough for me to do. I didn't know you had to compress the piston. So I learned something today!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Any time you replace brake pads there will be a difference in the thickness of the pads. Compressing the caliper is as simple as a clamp to push it all the way into the housing. Add the pads, and then compress the brakes a few times to rebuild the caliper compression to the new pads

1 - 6 of 6 Posts