Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, looking for a bit of feedback. I'm looking to do a brake upgrade to my 07 JKU Sahara and have narrowed it down to 2 options and was looking for feedback on these.

First is the Powerstop Z36 and second is the Crown big brake kit and matching master cylinder.

The easiest to install would be the power stop, but I'm just not sure if that is enough of an upgrade for my setup which is 35x12.50-18 BFG mud terrain.

I'm leaning towards the Crown setup since it's a larger diameter which should increase my braking.

I know there are other kits out there such as Baer and Willwood, but they're both budget killers. So if I'm missing an option in the same price range as the 2 I mentioned above that might be better, please let me know.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
I have a 2014 JKU with 35x12.5 17s. I went with a Teraflex Performance Big Rotor Kit. I am very happy with how it stops and the price of the kit. I spent $253. While I have no experience with the Powerstop Z36 my guess it that you will get similar stopping power to the Teraflex Kit.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2014 JKU with 35x12.5 17s. I went with a Teraflex Performance Big Rotor Kit. I am very happy with how it stops and the price of the kit. I spent $253. While I have no experience with the Powerstop Z36 my guess it that you will get similar stopping power to the Teraflex Kit.
Thank you so much ! I will investigate that one as well!

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I don't see the Powerstop as an upgrade. It's just a non-OEM replacement kit with less rotor mass. The Crown kit is an upgrade. I've read that they have some issues with the caliper bracket spacing, however.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't see the Powerstop as an upgrade. It's just a non-OEM replacement kit with less rotor mass. The Crown kit is an upgrade. I've read that they have some issues with the caliper bracket spacing, however.
That's kind of how I was looking at the Powerstop as well. Not much different that replacing the OEM pads with a more aggressive pad like EBC.

So Crown or Teraflex now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I also run the Teraflex in my 17, with better pads as well and it is a nice improvement over stock . My Jeep is pretty heavy with bumpers and skid plates as well as 37's and the Teraflex kit stops great and feels solid when creeping down inclines.

·
Super Moderator
4,564 Posts
I have the DynaTrac big brake kit. That is another option.
Most of your power increase when upgrading brakes comes from using larger diameter rotors. Replacing calipers can improve braking power somewhat as the new caliper may use a larger pad, which has more surface area. But that increase in braking power is not as large as the increase from a larger diameter rotor. That is the main aspect of braking upgrades. Larger diameter rotors give you increased braking power because of the increase in leverage by moving the brake pad further from the center of rotation. And the larger rotor means more heat handling capacity due to the increase in mass, which reduces the tendency of the brakes to fade due to over heating.
Also, if you go with a different caliper you add to the equation the balance between the size of the master cylinder and the size of the caliper pistons. Once you open that can of worms you can't get the worms back in the can.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have the DynaTrac kit too. I was looking for a change as the DynaTrac pads create tons of brake dust, so I went with the PowerStops. That lasted about 2 days went back to the DynaTracs dust and all.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Where’d you score the teraflex kit for $253?

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Is there a code for the WF discount or do you have to call or PM them? I see the kit just over $300.
I believe it used to be "wranglerforum". You can call, email or PM on this board I believe. They are always my first choice when looking for Jeep parts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts