Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I've got an '01 TJ, 2.5l. Recently, the brake warning light has been doing the following:

1. Turn Key on, engine starts
  2. Brake warning light is on (as normal)
  3. Put in gear and start moving (forward or backward) and the light starts blinking and chiming
  4. After 10 beeps, chiming stops, but light stays on and remains solid
  5. Come to a point of stopping and chiming starts again, along with blinking
  6. Start moving again, chimes 10 times, blinks, then goes to solid brake warning light
  7. Stop again and process repeats
  8. Turn Jeep off, and light goes off
So, that's my story. Things about braking system:
  • Checked the brake fluid and it is full
  • Brakes themselves work well. They've been on for several years but don't show signs of not doing their job or making unwanted noises
  • The emergency brake needs to be adjusted but works a little
  • No apparent leaks
  • Don't off-road in it- used exclusively as a daily driver
That's my story. Thanks for any insight. I can do work on it but just don't know all of the ins and outs of what a problem like this can be.

Have a great day!

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
First figure if on do to switch at emergency brake handle or balance valve switch near master cylinder
Unplug the balance valve connector and see if light goes put

Also are you sure this is brake light not ABS light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First figure if on do to switch at emergency brake handle or balance valve switch near master cylinder
Unplug the balance valve connector and see if light goes put

Also are you sure this is brake light not ABS light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll check those things with emergency brake/master cylinder

The light that I'm talking about says "Brake," is red and is just below the "O" on the tachometer

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
My E-brake warning light and chime worked when it felt like it. Dirt, debris and a little corrosion was what did it on mine.

Nobody every takes their center consoles out to clean anything in there. Why would they?
Anyway... After 15-20 years on the road (and hopefully off-road too), the amount of crap that finds its way into the slot for the E-brake handle is ridiculous. I took mine apart to disconnect the sub-woofer. I found about a pound of sand, pine needles, three country CDs, a pen, about $2.00 in loose change, a McDonald's french fry still in mint condition (no, I didn't eat it...) and a lot of pine pitch.

The E-brake lever was hard to work, so I cleaned it all out with a brush and put some white lithium grease on the mechanism and cleaned/lubricated the contact on the switch. Working perfectly ever since.

Maybe you'll be lucky and it will turn out to simply be a sticky or broken emergency brake switch.

Good luck! Please let us know what you find.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi everyone. Thanks for your replies. I finally got around to working on this. It took me all of five minutes!
I took the sleeve off and what do you know, the sensor wire was disconnected and was getting chewed up by the e brake action. The problem was the wire shorting out.
So I put electric tape on the exposed wire, taped down the wire itself so it wouldn’t move around so much, reconnected the sensor and, viola, it’s fixed!
Thanks for all of your help. I really appreciate it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts