Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i just purchased a TJ and am systematically going through it and upgrading/replacing components. I noticed before i bought it that the front brakes felt a bit squishy and the e-brake has to be fully engaged in order to hold the rig on any sort of incline (it came equipped with a meaty set of 31s).
I'll adjust the rear drum and e-brake according to spec, not too worried about that side of things.

But on the front, is it advisable to run drilled/slotted rotors and ceramic brakes. Also, should i upgrade to a longer set of SS brake lines as I eventually want to put a smallish 2" lift so that I can run 33s?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Look into black magic brakes for rotors and pads. I can promise, you won't be disappointed + if you are they have GREAT customer service. I run them with 33s and I wouldn't run anything else.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@raramirez...thanks bud. Just did a little research and they seems a bit pricey. But they are arguably one of the single most important parts of the vehicle so definitely worth the money.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
@raramirez...thanks bud. Just did a little research and they seems a bit pricey. But they are arguably one of the single most important parts of the vehicle so definitely worth the money.
Considering the stopping performance the Black Magic pads give you - I would say they are a worthwhile investment, especially when you upgrade to 33" tires.

Squishy brakes? There may be air in your lines or the fluid may be contaminated.

I run a 2" lift & 33" tires and I haven't touched my factory brake lines but results often vary Jeep to Jeep.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
I run black magic brakes on my rig as well...pricy but worth it for sure. I run 35's and its a NOTICEABLE improvement from the factory setup.

As for your ebrake, check to see if its adjusted correct...should be able to get a wrench and just tighten it up a bit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 2006 tj on 33's and just replaced brakes and rotors with the basic rotors from O'Reilly's and their middle grade pads. It stops great. Everything was about $125 out the door.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts