Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my 2015 Sahara JKU in Aug of last year. For most of that time when I shift into drive and let off the brakes they make a honking sound. I can extend the time it makes the sound by barely letting of on the brakes. Before I goto a dealer for something easy, might someone here have an idea on whats going on? I also have the coolant smell so I was going to take a trip there anyway.

thanks in advance!

Vince

·
Commercial Member
1,550 Posts
all wrangler brakes do that

·
Registered
457 Posts
Welcome to Wrangler ownership!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a 2015 rubi hard rock, and I noticed a loud "clicking" noise, recently, when I press on the brake pedal. Took it to the dealer, and one of the service techs brought his 2015 jeep that made a similar sound (but not as loud). They said it has to do with the reset of the brake pedal. But I'm gonna take it to a different dealer and see if they say the same thing. My point is,,,it didn't make that sound before, so why is it making that sound now. If it's normal, it should've made that sound from the very beginning.

·
Commercial Member
1,550 Posts
The honking has to do with the friction of the pads slowly letting go of the rotors. Guessing the friction coefficient of our pads (manufacturer used) are fairly high due to wranglers generally having high rotational mass.

The clicking of the brake pedal, oh I have that too. haha

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
With an auto trans. JK in most instances when you hear brake noise when you're stopped and let off of the brakes in drive or reverse and you're at least on an 8% incline it's Hill Start Assist deactivating. With a manual trans., you only have to be on a 3% incline.

·
Commercial Member
1,550 Posts
With an auto trans. JK in most instances when you hear brake noise when you're stopped and let off of the brakes in drive or reverse and you're at least on an 8% incline it's Hill Start Assist deactivating. With a manual trans., you only have to be on a 3% incline.
Not quite sure, as I checked and it happens when slowly coming from a stop as well. Also it happens only initially after start up in the morning, probably when the surface of the rotor has just enough of something built up (oxidation/rust) overnight causing more initial friction.

Nothing I worry about...

·
Registered
352 Posts
Mine have done that since day 1. I have an auto and never really use the ebrake so I don't think it has anything to do with that.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Not quite sure, as I checked and it happens when slowly coming from a stop as well. Also it happens only initially after start up in the morning, probably when the surface of the rotor has just enough of something built up (oxidation/rust) overnight causing more initial friction.

Nothing I worry about...
This is normal for some JK's. The only time my brakes make any noise is when hill start releases and it's a slight brake noise. That's why I didn't mention specifically that it was HSA because JK brake noise can be interesting sometimes due to a number of factors, including exactly what you mentioned. If I was the OP I would temporarily disable HSA just to rule it out.

·
Registered
493 Posts
My brakes sound like Chewbacca when I ease off of them. Been this way since the first week I owned it. I'll be researching different types of pads in case there's some out there that will eliminate the sound.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I was wondering what the OP meant by "honking," like how the hell can brakes "honk?" But then I noticed it yesterday. I hear it all the time, but I never thought of it as "honking" until now. To my knowledge, that is completely normal, and the JK is not the only vehicle I have driven that does it. The sound comes from the pads/rotors when there is still brake pressure but the vehicle is rolling slightly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I purchased my 2015 Sahara JKU in Aug of last year. For most of that time when I shift into drive and let off the brakes they make a honking sound. I can extend the time it makes the sound by barely letting of on the brakes. Before I goto a dealer for something easy, might someone here have an idea on whats going on? I also have the coolant smell so I was going to take a trip there anyway. thanks in advance! Vince
I had a that honk sound to for 30,000 miles, I just replaced the rear pads and the sound is gone. Pads are only $25, if DIY. I which I had just replaced the rear pads when it was new.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had a that honk sound to for 30,000 miles, I just replaced the rear pads and the sound is gone. Pads are only $25, if DIY. I which I had just replaced the rear pads when it was new.
What pads did you use? I'm asking because the dealer recently replaced the rear brake pads in my 6 month old JKU with MOPAR pads to correct this noise and it made no difference.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Exactly .....

My 2014 Rubicon does the same thing too.
I just assumed it was normal for the vehicle, but that's interesting that at least one person here says changing rear pads made the sound go away.

I wonder if quieter pads would mean less braking power though?

I was wondering what the OP meant by "honking," like how the hell can brakes "honk?" But then I noticed it yesterday. I hear it all the time, but I never thought of it as "honking" until now. To my knowledge, that is completely normal, and the JK is not the only vehicle I have driven that does it. The sound comes from the pads/rotors when there is still brake pressure but the vehicle is rolling slightly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts