Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time for pads. Rotors have slight ridge. I will get them turned.
I've read so much here I want to make sure I'm on the right track.
Stock wrangler. Nothing crazy off road.
I guess I'm safety conscious ... Good tires, good head lights ( LED ), good brakes, sober driver 馃嵒馃嵒馃嵒
No problem paying for Black magic. But am I correct to understand that they don't make rears? If not, what do I get for the rear.
As far as the rotors... I think I'm fine with the stock ones, turned of course, or is there something I should know .

Thanks

Registered
I do not know anything about Black Magic brake pads. They get great reviews, but I have never personally used them. I just installed rear pads on my 2013 JKU this morning. I used Wagner Thermo Quiet ceramic pads that I bought from Amazon for $31. I have used this brand on all of my vehicles for the past 10 years and I have been very happy with them. The front pads are $36. Have you checked on the price to have your rotors turned? You can get front Raybestos rotors for $42 each, so you may want to check on the price to get the rotors turned before you start to order parts. Personally, I just get new rotors because having them turned makes them thinner and then more likely to warp again later. Here are links to what I use on my Jeep.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DRFIZQ...UTF8&colid=399YPFG70MR7J&coliid=IHF07RYRSIRSV

Amazon.com: Wagner ThermoQuiet QC1274 Ceramic Disc Pad Set, Rear: Automotive

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015RWQ72...TF8&colid=399YPFG70MR7J&coliid=I3DJH6R35UAILQ

Super Moderator
I've had perfect results using NAPA Premium rotors. Unfortunately, it hasn't been on my Wranglers... If I need a rotor, that's what I will use though at $35.

Registered
Back in the day we all got our drums/rotors turned (cut) whatever terms we used. Now, it just makes sense to get new rotors. There are many options and rotors aren't that expensive.

Registered
Back in the day we all got our drums/rotors turned (cut) whatever terms we used. Now, it just makes sense to get new rotors. There are many options and rotors aren't that expensive.
Many places around me wont even turn them anymore. Just get new and be done with it. Not a bad job to do at all.

Registered
Don't buy or turn the rotors unless they need it. If you change pads before you get metal to metal you can probably go a long time before you need to do either.

My 07 Tacoma has 145,000 miles on it. The front rotors were turned for the 1ts time last month. I put new pads on the rear at 100,000 miles and the rear drums have never been turned or replaced.

Registered
I just did the Brakemotive (search eBay) kit on my JKU a few weeks ago. Front and rear drilled/slotted rotors and ceramic pads for under $200 shipped to my door. I couldn't be happier with the braking performance.
Only problem I have found with drill slotted rotors is if you spend any time in mud you will burn through pads like crazy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts