Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that when it is real cold out and snowing, my brakes seem to freeze up when I am just starting the vehicle up after having been sitting for a while. The vehicle will not roll forward or backward even on a slight incline until you give it enough gas (more gas than normal), and suddenly there is a "breaking-free" sound and the vehicle starts moving.

I don't think it is HSA because it has happened even when HSA was disabled. I think it might be the e-brake though. Is this a normal occurrence?

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
It's hard to say what's "normal" sometimes. Mine has never done that, but under the conditions that you mentioned it could be normal. That can happen sometimes with any vehicle with 4 wheel disc brakes. It's also possible that under those conditions the e-brake can be hanging up. I would monitor it and if it gets worse then address it. It might be fine.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's hard to say what's "normal" sometimes. Mine has never done that, but under the conditions that you mentioned it could be normal. That can happen sometimes with any vehicle with 4 wheel disc brakes. It's also possible that under those conditions the e-brake can be hanging up. I would monitor it and if it gets worse then address it. It might be fine.
Well winter season appears to be pretty much over at this point, so I won't be able to monitor it for about a year. It's not a huge deal.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Mine did this once or twice when it was really cold and snowing here, but hasn't happened again since.

I keep my Jeep parked outside (not garaged), so I'm not all that surprised.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I've had it happen after wheeling in the snow & ice when it's super cold out & parked outside. I never use my ebrake, so it's not that.

·
Registered
99 Posts
All my buddies from the Frozen North tell me that no one ever uses the emergency brake on any of their vehicles during the winter, as any moisture on the pads / calipers will freeze and lock the brakes to some degree or another.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I'm always parked outside and I always use my e-brake, even if it's -30, never had any problem.

But on the other hand, my wife is using the e-brake less than 10 times a year on her car, and I would not use it on very cold days.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All my buddies from the Frozen North tell me that no one ever uses the emergency brake on any of their vehicles during the winter, as any moisture on the pads / calipers will freeze and lock the brakes to some degree or another.
The moisture explanation makes sense, as I have only noticed this occurrence after driving through snow. If it is just cold out, it doesn't happen. I still use my e-brake though because it's a manual.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have noticed that when it is real cold out and snowing, my brakes seem to freeze up when I am just starting the vehicle up after having been sitting for a while. The vehicle will not roll forward or backward even on a slight incline until you give it enough gas (more gas than normal), and suddenly there is a "breaking-free" sound and the vehicle starts moving.

I don't think it is HSA because it has happened even when HSA was disabled. I think it might be the e-brake though. Is this a normal occurrence?
Depends on how much snow/ice has melted and refreezed - it is possible for your pads to feel like they are sticking to the rotors. This happened to me in my Audi - snow was packed in the wheel, would melt, and sometimes freeze the rotor/caliper assemblies.

If you are experiencing any fade or other issues during braking, then flush your lines during your next brake maintenance schedule. Flush the system sooner if the problems seems to be getting worse. So many problems occur due to moisture and 'old fluid' in brake systems - my '07 doesn't have a scheduled brake fluid flush, which is just stupid. I last flushed my brakes at 50k - and I am WAY overdue to do them again. I've always noticed a difference in braking response in every car/truck I've owned after flushing the lines.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts