Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could drive all day if I never apply the brakes. But once I start using the brakes (especially if I brake hard) the calipers (I assume) are not releasing 100%. I'll be driving and feel some resistance from the front brakes. If I continue driving it gets worse and worse, as if I'm pressing the brakes while simultaneously giving it gas.

It's occurring fairly equally on both the left and right side. At one point it got so bad when I was finally able to stop I could feel the heat emanating from the wheel well.

I replaced my rotors and brake pads, bled the brake lines and filled 'er back up and am still experiencing the same issue. Am I correct in thinking that replacing the calipers will resolve this issue?

Is there anything else I can do to troubleshoot?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Was it difficult to push the pistons back into the calipers? They may be starting to seize. That or you may have collapsed flex lines.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I've had this happen once although it didn't seem to be on both sides. It was a seized caliber on the drivers front. I took it off, compressed it all the way, pumped the brakes a few times and compressed it again. I haven't had an issue since.

·
Registered
44 Posts
May have contaminated fluid or perhaps the wrong fluid was added. I have seen power steering fluid added by mistake before.
It causes inner rubberized seals to swell, allowing fluid under pressure (when brakes are applied) to pass but not return, thus keeping pressure on caliper. This typically will show gradually (as in your case) if wrong fluid is added. If wrong fluid is added 100% after flushing, problem will show in all 4 calipers, not just one as in your case.
just my .02.

·
Registered
679 Posts
It's occurring fairly equally on both the left and right side. At one point it got so bad when I was finally able to stop I could feel the heat emanating from the wheel well.

I replaced my rotors and brake pads, bled the brake lines and filled 'er back up and am still experiencing the same issue. Am I correct in thinking that replacing the calipers will resolve this issue?

Is there anything else I can do to troubleshoot?
Make sure you properly lubed the caliper slid pins. Replace them if they are rusted - then can make the pads drag if the caliper cannot recenter itself/move

When you bled the brakes, did you FLUSH the lines? Did you do all 4 corners? How much fluid did you actually remove? Sounds like you may have water in the system - water will boil when hot and will cause the calipers to drag a bit. It is also possible for the brake calipers to both be bad. When I've only replaced one, the other failed/started to drag shortly afterwards (usually less than a year). Since learning this lesson, I now replace them in pairs - easier since all the tools/crap is out to perform a system bleed/repair.

Wrong fluids will lead to issues with seals, the lines, and the master cylinder...let's hope that didn't happen. Do you use those quick lube idiots? I put tape & zip tie over my master cylinder and P/S caps to prevent anyone from these types of fluids. If master cylinder is below the 'min line', then I need to know - brake fluid & PS fluid doesn't get 'used up/evaporate' - it will be higher or lower based on caliper/brake pad position. If it is below the 'min' line, usually it means there is a leak.

Good luck. Flush the system first. & Check caliper slide bolts. Then start replacing components.
1. Pump out the old fluid from the master cylinder using a turkey baster.
2. Fill with new.
3. Open valve at most remote brake component
4. Bleed/pump until new fluid appears. Then pump a little more. Make sure master cylinder does not run dry.
5. Rinse and repeat for each corner of vehicle working your way to the closest (hydraulically) component.

If this doesn't help, you can try to replace a caliper to see if that helps.

Let us know what happens after you try the above. Dependin gon the condition of your rubber lines, they may have degraded and caused bits of rubber to collect in the system. This can cause parts of the brake system to act like a check valve and not 'bleed down' after you apply the brakes. The only way to clear this is to completely disconnect the lines and push lots of fluid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts