Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
99 TJ 4.0

So I've been having a sticky brake problem for the last month now. I alos noticed that when the brakes a sticking the engine temp goes up maybe 10 degrees. Could this be related? I just replaced the water pump, thermostat and radiator. Takes forever to get up to temp but once it's there it stays there until the brake sticking problem starts again. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
98 Posts
If your brakes are sticking the engine is working harder to maintain the same speed. So it could be just that.

Sounds like somebody is going to have a fun weekend rebuilding their calipers! Oh, and bleeding your brakes!

Just had to bleed mine. Here is the order I found on the Interwebz:

RR
LR
RF
LF

That is what I did for my 97.

If that is not the correct order I will be :hide:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response. I guess that's the plan. Is rebuilding the calipers a tough job ie. special tools?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Thanks for the quick response. I guess that's the plan. Is rebuilding the calipers a tough job ie. special tools?

Have a '97. I just did mine a few weeks ago. I replace both front calipers and hoses. I also flushed out all the old brake fluid at all 4 corners since it has been 3 years since my last flush. I did not have to change my pads or rotors this time because I did that a few months ago when I replaced my u-joints. It was easy, no special tools, took about a hour and half from start to finish. You just need someone to pump he brake pedal if you do not use a vacuum or power bleeder.

I would not bother rebuilding yourself. Just replace them with rebuilt calipers. There are 2 options metal or phenolic. I replaced my calipers with the same as OEM phenolic ones. I'd replace the hoses also if they are old since you have to remove the caliper and bleed anyway. Hoses can swell internally and cause calipers not to release all the way. I got mine from Orilley's with a lifetime warranty. The core ($35) was more then the cost of the caliper. The calipers are cheap, about $20 for each caliper. $15 per side for the hoses and $10 for brake fluid.

I guess sticking brakes can cause a lot more load on your engine? I'd check your coolant system for bubbles. You can use a infrared thermometer to measure your rotors to see if one side is sticking. I'd still do both sides with the hoses though if your problem is a sticking caliper.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts