Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep. Light pressure on the brakes causes them to make a very loud tweet tweet tweet sound. Not typical disc brake squeal. It stops if I press the brakes hard.
It's going into the dealer tomorrow, but has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
My wife's is doing the same thing, I haven't figured anything out yet and hadn't had the chance to take it in.... curious to see what yours is

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
255 Posts
I get that type of thing sometimes. Picking my kids up from a school event, park for 20-30 min, pull forward in a line slowly, hit the brakes lightly, SQUEEK SQUEEK SQUEEK!

Get to the main road at speed, hit the brakes, nothing.

Let me know what they say.

Thanks,
Will

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just dropped it at the dealer. Took the Service Advisor for a ride so he could hear it. I don't want to hear "Our technician didn't hear anything wrong."
I'll update tonight when I get it back. I'm thinking either a cracked brake pad or rotor, but I'm not a mechanic.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had the same strange tweet. Not to freak you out but mine was a bent p/s axle shaft. Bent enough to scrape the rotor dust cover.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had the same strange tweet. Not to freak you out but mine was a bent p/s axle shaft. Bent enough to scrape the rotor dust cover.
Wow, if thats the case, I hope it's covered under warranty. I've never had an accident or hit anything.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wouldn't a bent axle cause vibration while driving?

·
Registered
49 Posts
You would think so but I never had any excessive vibration.Could be since big tires run rough anyways it disguises it. Not saying thats his issue but mine when I took mine in at 9k miles.

·
Premium Member
9,598 Posts
9 times out of 10 if you have brake squeal it is because you have been braking to lightly, you have glazed the pads or rotors and you possible have a warped rotor. I would try re-bedding in to see if that might fix the issue. If it does not there is a good chance of a warped rotor.

How to Bed-in Brake Pads - The Best Technique for Bedding in Brake Pads

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Yep. Light pressure on the brakes causes them to make a very loud tweet tweet tweet sound. Not typical disc brake squeal. It stops if I press the brakes hard.
It's going into the dealer tomorrow, but has anyone else experienced this?
After the second Vodka martini sometimes I actually see the Bird!

(as a passenger of course)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You would think so but I never had any excessive vibration.Could be since big tires run rough anyways it disguises it. Not saying thats his issue but mine when I took mine in at 9k miles.
Yep. It's a bent axle. I hit a storm drain and messed up the rim. Apparently I did more damage than I thought. Dealer put it on the lift and put the Jeep in drive. Left rear wheel wobbling. Fortunately, insurance is covering it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Man I'm sry to hear that. Mine was the rear p/s. Apparently they bend that easy. I'm thinking for the future new stronger shafts should be installed. Atleast it's free of charge for you. That's a plus.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fortunately, insurance is covering all but my $500 deductible. Total price came to $1500. Dealer has the axle in stock, should only take a day to replace.

·
Super Moderator
9,601 Posts
Yep. It's a bent axle. I hit a storm drain and messed up the rim. Apparently I did more damage than I thought. Dealer put it on the lift and put the Jeep in drive. Left rear wheel wobbling. Fortunately, insurance is covering it.
$1500 for (an) as in single axle shaft or axle housing? If that's for a SINGLE axle shaft, I'm not sure which is worse...the dealer for charging that or you paying for it! You can get aftermarket shafts for both sides for the cost of your deductible! I would seriously take a moment and reconsider this...

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
$1500 for (an) as in single axle shaft or axle housing? If that's for a SINGLE axle shaft, I'm not sure which is worse...the dealer for charging that or you paying for it! You can get aftermarket shafts for both sides for the cost of your deductible! I would seriously take a moment and reconsider this...
True, but they are also replacing the rotor, caliper, pads, brake line, and doing a suspension alignment. I slammed that storm drain pretty hard. And anything aftermarket I do, while it might be cheaper, will void my warranty. Jeep is only 5 months old w/10k miles on it. I need the warranty.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Here's a factory shaft:

https://www.quadratec.com/products/...6IAbkYHwyYQoaNSLUsNhvj1pYHeiI27EaAn02EALw_wcB

You'll see that the bearing is already installed and it's a simple bolt on installation. I did one on a lunch hour. Tip the jeep slightly to the other side or a bit of gear oil will come out with the shaft. You can buy a stronger aftermarket axle, you might need to press the bearing on (easy if you have a press)

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts