Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i was driving today and some idiot decided to dead stop on the highway in front of me, i slammed on the brakes, then lost all pedal pressure. I had to limp it home with no brakes, luckily i wasn't far. My electronics started acting funny too, i put on my hazards and they wouldnt stay on unless my right signal was on, and the light that comes on that says BRAKE when the e-brake was engaged was staying on. Signals were really fast, I dont know what the hell happened. If anyone can help that would be great. I definitely think a line blew out because there was brake fluid leaking, but I feel like something else might have messed up the electronics like that. Looks like the jeeps goin in the shop... gonna be a great way to start the new year... By the way I have a 99 Jeep Wrangler Sport

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
You must have slammed the brakes really hard, dang.

haha, joking aside, what all electronics do you have in your jeep other than the stock stuff just wondering?

as for the brakes, I don't really know what to tell ya about them. goodluck man.

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
So i was driving today and some idiot decided to dead stop on the highway in front of me, i slammed on the brakes, then lost all pedal pressure. I had to limp it home with no brakes, luckily i wasn't far. My electronics started acting funny too, i put on my hazards and they wouldnt stay on unless my right signal was on, and the light that comes on that says BRAKE when the e-brake was engaged was staying on. Signals were really fast, I dont know what the hell happened. If anyone can help that would be great. I definitely think a line blew out because there was brake fluid leaking, but I feel like something else might have messed up the electronics like that. Looks like the jeeps goin in the shop... gonna be a great way to start the new year... By the way I have a 99 Jeep Wrangler Sport
The brake light on the dash is on because you lost one of the hydraulic circuits and the differential pressure has shifted the shuttle valve to stop that circuit from leaking. (it doesn't always work perfectly) When it shifts, it connects the circuit that turns that light on that tells you there is a problem that needs fixed NOW.

Fast signals and funny hazards indicate that you have a burned out bulb, check that first before you blame the multifunction switch.

It's not uncommon for that year switch to get corroded inside and do funny things. Check your back up lights and see how they are.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You must have slammed the brakes really hard, dang.

haha, joking aside, what all electronics do you have in your jeep other than the stock stuff just wondering?

as for the brakes, I don't really know what to tell ya about them. goodluck man.
Yea, had to I was doing 50 and I see this guy stopped on the highway. The only thing I have is KC daylighter's that aren't even hooked up anyway right now. I saw that a ground had brake fluid on it from when the line exploded I guess, would that cause the electronics to act weird? Theres brake fluid on the passengers side of my engine compartment, and in the wheel well, it looks like it dripped into the wheel well. Luckily I have an STS shop about a mile away from my house so I should be able to limp it there, not that I'm exactly a fan of them, but I don't really have a choice

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The brake light on the dash is on because you lost one of the hydraulic circuits and the differential pressure has shifted the shuttle valve to stop that circuit from leaking. (it doesn't always work perfectly) When it shifts, it connects the circuit that turns that light on that tells you there is a problem that needs fixed NOW.

Fast signals and funny hazards indicate that you have a burned out bulb, check that first before you blame the multifunction switch.

It's not uncommon for that year switch to get corroded inside and do funny things. Check your back up lights and see how they are.
The thing that makes me skeptical is that this all happened right after this incident

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
I would listen to black magic he knows his stuff pretty good.

I would say you could have just had a weak line and slamming on the brakes built up too much fluid pressure and caused the break. But I'm no expert.

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
I would listen to black magic he knows his stuff pretty good.

I would say you could have just had a weak line and slamming on the brakes built up too much fluid pressure and caused the break. But I'm no expert.
x2 blew a brake line. I did this a few weeks ago trying to auto adjust my rear shoes. Slammed on the brake and pow!

·
Registered
772 Posts
i know how much fun that can be. had my pedal go to the floor driving to work 1 day. was able to get home-glad for manual tranny and e brake. mine ended up being a blown rear wheel cylendar-bout $50 for both side cyl's, fluid, brake cleaner and self bleed kit.
for the lights-turn on 4 way and see if all bulbs are flashing. had similar-fast directional- and a burned out bulb was the problem.

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
robbiecc said:
i know how much fun that can be. had my pedal go to the floor driving to work 1 day. was able to get home-glad for manual tranny and e brake. mine ended up being a blown rear wheel cylendar-bout $50 for both side cyl's, fluid, brake cleaner and self bleed kit.
for the lights-turn on 4 way and see if all bulbs are flashing. had similar-fast directional- and a burned out bulb was the problem.
Sounds consistent with what Blaine said.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The same thing happened to me a couple months ago. Come to find out a brake line had been rubbing on the edge of a body panel. replaced brake line from master cylinder to rubber brake line. voila good as new.:dance:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Its looking like it popped somewhere near the front passenger wheel well, inside the engine compartment. That line is rusted so bad near where it attaches to the frame. I think me and my friend are gonna replace it to save some cash he knows alot about jeeps

1 - 12 of 12 Posts