Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently my JKU starting pulling pretty hard to the left when braking. If I'm going about 40mph and brake normal for a stop light, it will pull hard enough to actually switch lanes. It doesnt happen if I'm braking slowly.

Another thing I noticed is if I brake hard, it still pulls to the left and I hear a noise that sounds just like the ABS system kicking on for a few seconds but then stops. When that happens, it feels like the Jeep isnt braking as well as it should.

I brought it to a well known Jeep mechanic. He said brakes and calipers look great. I have a Yeti tie rod. He said the driver side yielded rod end ball joint has some play. I bought a new end but I'm not convinced that is the cause of these problems. I would have bet it was a caliper but he said they look good. Is there anything else I should have him look at?

·
Registered
400 Posts
How is your front linkage geometry?
Make an invisible line between the joints, The track bar and drag link must be parallel. This also causes a feeling of instability when hitting bumps on the road.

Attachments

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Drag link and track bar seem pretty parallel. I measured the distance between the ground and each joint and they were equidistant.

Driving home tonight I was going 40mph and tested the brakes again. Definitely sounds like ABS is kicking in and I noticed the ESC light came on

·
Registered
400 Posts
Drag link and track bar seem pretty parallel. I measured the distance between the ground and each joint and they were equidistant.

Driving home tonight I was going 40mph and tested the brakes again. Definitely sounds like ABS is kicking in and I noticed the ESC light came on
I'm not sure if thats the cause or a reaction to the issue.

I.E. Its either hitting the ABS because it thinks the steering wheel is out of alignment... OR, Its hitting the ABS because the brakes were already applied and detected the heavy shift.

Is your steering wheel perfectly straight when going down a straight road?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure if thats the cause or a reaction to the issue.

I.E. Its either hitting the ABS because it thinks the steering wheel is out of alignment... OR, Its hitting the ABS because the brakes were already applied and detected the heavy shift.

Is your steering wheel perfectly straight when going down a straight road?
Yes as far as I can remember it seems dead center.

Would a faulty ball joint on the tie rod end cause an issue? Could that cause the driver wheel to not be aligned straight with the passenger side under load like stopping? Since the mechanic said it did have play.

Or what about air in the brake line? Could that cause the driver side to brake harder than the passenger side causing the pull and kicking ABS in?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Yes as far as I can remember it seems dead center.

Would a faulty ball joint on the tie rod end cause an issue? Could that cause the driver wheel to not be aligned straight with the passenger side under load like stopping? Since the mechanic said it did have play.

Or what about air in the brake line? Could that cause the driver side to brake harder than the passenger side causing the pull and kicking ABS in?
All valid concerns that warrant further investigation. Could be a frozen caliper on the passenger side. Probably not an air bubble, unless you've opened the system. Use a small mirror and get your own eyes on the brake pads.

When it comes to death wobble, all those joints need to be tighter than a nuns cu.... cape. Jack one wheel up, wiggle left/right to check joints. Wiggle up/down to check main bearing. use prybar to lift knuckle to check knuckle joints. Repeat on other side. Dont really know how to check control arms, use a pry bar on them to check for wiggle?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All valid concerns that warrant further investigation. Could be a frozen caliper on the passenger side. Probably not an air bubble, unless you've opened the system. Use a small mirror and get your own eyes on the brake pads.

When it comes to death wobble, all those joints need to be tighter than a nuns cu.... cape. Jack one wheel up, wiggle left/right to check joints. Wiggle up/down to check main bearing. use prybar to lift knuckle to check knuckle joints. Repeat on other side. Dont really know how to check control arms, use a pry bar on them to check for wiggle?
I'll check any wiggle room in those. I do know every time I bring it in to this mechanic he tightens everything really well. He is the go to guy for death wobble diagnosis in my area.

I did another quick test to see what would happen. I was going 40mph and pushed on the brake hard. ABS came on, the ESC light came on, at first it pulled left but then it corrected back straight again. I'm not sure if this is a symptom of something or just the ABS working properly.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have had this happen in my jeep before, same random pulling to the side while hard braking. Luckily for me it went away/fixed itself and hasn't come back so I forgot about it until I saw your thread. I assumed it was a computer/electronic malfunction sending more braking power to one wheel then the other via the traction control system

Sorry I'm not really any help just wanted to let you know someone else experienced it

·
Registered
2 Posts
Recently my JKU starting pulling pretty hard to the left when braking. If I'm going about 40mph and brake normal for a stop light, it will pull hard enough to actually switch lanes. It doesnt happen if I'm braking slowly.

Another thing I noticed is if I brake hard, it still pulls to the left and I hear a noise that sounds just like the ABS system kicking on for a few seconds but then stops. When that happens, it feels like the Jeep isnt braking as well as it should.

I brought it to a well known Jeep mechanic. He said brakes and calipers look great. I have a Yeti tie rod. He said the driver side yielded rod end ball joint has some play. I bought a new end but I'm not convinced that is the cause of these problems. I would have bet it was a caliper but he said they look good. Is there anything else I should have him look at?

My 2012 Jeep just started this exact issue. Started with light/slight pull to the left while braking. Figured it was time for new brakes (poss sized Rt Caliper) After changing; Rotors, Pads, & Calipers. Pull got much worse, & now the ABS comes on during braking (trying to correct?)
I was thinking that issue was with ABS, speed sensor. No ABS light, or Trouble Codes.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
My 2012 Jeep just started this exact issue. Started with light/slight pull to the left while braking. Figured it was time for new brakes (poss sized Rt Caliper) After changing; Rotors, Pads, & Calipers. Pull got much worse, & now the ABS comes on during braking (trying to correct?)
I was thinking that issue was with ABS, speed sensor. No ABS light, or Trouble Codes.
Could be the front brake hoses collapsing internally.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anyone else had this issue fixed by replacing a brake hose?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
296 Posts
Anyone else had this issue fixed by replacing a brake hose?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
yes more than once.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2015 JKU Rubicon with a 2" lift and 37" tires. Mine started pulling during braking a month or so ago, pulled both front wheels off to inspect. When vehicle was raised didn't notice any wheels dragging. Found plenty of brake pads remaining, pulled calipers loose found nothing sticking, pistons pushed back in easy and caliper slides were functioning as designed. I proceeded with bleeding the brakes and operation seemed fine after bleeding, then a few more days and the pull came back this time with intermediate trac activation. Real weird, unfortunately can't see if the lines are collapsed by looking at them as some people describe. It started pulling left while driving yesterday then to the right when braking, so I figure the left hose is most likely my problem. After checking with the dealer for front brake hoses I find it funny that left and right are different prices, left is $62 and the right is $58. I figure I will replace both the front brake hoses, deglaze the front pads and see if operation is back to normal before I replace anything else. Most likely will be replacing front rotors and pads (from heat) if not the calipers too, just don't want to without finding the root cause first. Hope this doesn't effect the life span of the wheel bearings too!

·
Registered
296 Posts
I bought my hoses at orieleys. they had stock and 4" longer for lifted vehicles.....the longer one was even cheaper!!!

Reactions: dmkimm

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry, I haven't been on lately. Yes it was my front right brake hose. Replaced it and problem has been gone since

1 - 18 of 18 Posts