Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've test driven several 2 door JK so I'm not suggesting there was anything abnormal here.

During test drives, I like to perform a "panic" stop. During the panic stops, the front end dips down so much (probably exacerbated by the rake of the body) it feels like we'll do a forward roll. I know it's not going to happen but I'm curious what if anything can be done to reduce that dipping sensation.

Completely stock 2 door JK Sport S with the 17" SRA wheels.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Dynatrac ProGrip. I bought a 16 2Dr Rubicon, squishy suspension and poor brakes. Drove it home, took out the back seat and put the ProGrips on. No dive with braking. My wife drives a BMW and she thinks the Jeep brakes better than her 3 Series- I agree.

Gary

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dynatrac ProGrip. I bought a 16 2Dr Rubicon, squishy suspension and poor brakes. Drove it home, took out the back seat and put the ProGrips on. No dive with braking. My wife drives a BMW and she thinks the Jeep brakes better than her 3 Series- I agree. Gary
That's a grand for this mod??

·
Registered
139 Posts
If you choose to lift it, control arm drop brackets do a good job of mitigating brake dive without going to a stiffer tire. It all depends on what your future plans are. Drop brackets AND stiffer tires make for a pretty good package.

I agree though; stock braking is pretty bad. It was even bad on my JKUR. Felt like an ejection seat. Can only imagine what a 2 door must feel like.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you choose to lift it, control arm drop brackets do a good job of mitigating brake dive without going to a stiffer tire. It all depends on what your future plans are. Drop brackets AND stiffer tires make for a pretty good package. I agree though; stock braking is pretty bad. It was even bad on my JKUR. Felt like an ejection seat. Can only imagine what a 2 door must feel like.
No plans to lift but it will ultimately end up being towed behind the RV.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Upgrading the stock Sport shocks to some Rubi take-offs minimized the braking nose-dive for me.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess I should drive a rubi. I haven't as of now because A) not needed for my intended purpose B) out of my price range and C) I assumed th weight of the Dana 44 diff up front could affect ride quality and wouldn't be a direct comparison with a Sport.

Any legitimacy with my thinking of reason C?

·
Registered
484 Posts
I assume dampening occur in the shocks?
Yes a shock absorber handles damping.
damp·ing: noun
1. technical
a decrease in the amplitude of an oscillation as a result of energy being drained from the system to overcome frictional or other resistive forces.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Just another point to mention, I'd eventually get away of the test-drive panic stop IF you intend on actually buying "that" particular Jeep.
Heavy braking is death on a new set of brakes before the pads and rotors are heat cycled (conditioned).

Just one reason why when I buy a "New" Jeep it is NEW, Ordered built and NoBody Drives it when it comes in to the Dealer.
I break My Jeep in.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I guess I should drive a rubi. I haven't as of now because A) not needed for my intended purpose B) out of my price range and C) I assumed th weight of the Dana 44 diff up front could affect ride quality and wouldn't be a direct comparison with a Sport.

Any legitimacy with my thinking of reason C?
Any increase in unsprung weight will have an impact on ride quality due to the nature of inertia. But the Rubi tires will make a far bigger difference if you're just comparing the weight difference of the two diffs which I believe is pretty small. I suspect that they (the tires) are much heavier, more aggressive, and probably stiffer than their non-Rubi counterparts.

Give it a test drive. You could always put some Rubicon tires on a Sport to stiffen things up if they improve it enough. You can often get Rubicon takeoffs for lower prices too. Obviously they do better off road too.

·
Registered
671 Posts
20+ years of driving Wranglers I haven't had the need to slam on the brakes that often for this to be an issue, I also wouldn't make such braking a habit in any 4x4.

I know you are testing things out, it's good to do to find out the limits and the resulting behavior, we sit pretty high up and should be able to predict more than people in other vehicles.

The odd times I have had to brake suddenly, crap goes flying all over the cabin, which is an incentive not to put yourself in a situation to slam on the brakes, and with my unlimited a lot more crap goes flying, but it brake much better than the 2 door, that's for sure.

The 2 door is all around quite squirrelly, that is the reason I like it a lot, take the top down and cruise.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
20+ years of driving Wranglers I haven't had the need to slam on the brakes that often for this to be an issue, I also wouldn't make such braking a habit in any 4x4. I know you are testing things out, it's good to do to find out the limits and the resulting behavior, we sit pretty high up and should be able to predict more than people in other vehicles. The odd times I have had to brake suddenly, crap goes flying all over the cabin, which is an incentive not to put yourself in a situation to slam on the brakes, and with my unlimited a lot more crap goes flying, but it brake much better than the 2 door, that's for sure. The 2 door is all around quite squirrelly, that is the reason I like it a lot, take the top down and cruise.
You make some good points about view point (my current ride does sit significantly lower). Thanks for the insights.

--------

I also checked out CL and there are quite a few Rubicon wheels available.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I also checked out CL and there are quite a few Rubicon wheels available.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.
I bought 5 NEW Rubi wheels with the TPMS for $850 from a guy in NY, they are nice wheels.

Is the Wrangler you are looking at 2016?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts