Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are new to this forum and joined after purchasing our brand new 2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon w/ 3.0L eco-diesel. We purchased this vehicle last Saturday (5/7/22) from a Jeep dealership here in Central Oregon and my wife was so excited to finally have “a real Jeep” with trading in our 2021 Cherokee. We drove the Rubi for a couple of days and on the 3rd day, at the 90 mile odometer reading, we experienced a check engine light and the vehicle would surge/bog down when we hit the 40-45 mph range. We stopped, put the vehicle in park, turned the engine off and restarted it. It then began to struggle/work hard to get going from the stop position and the 40-45 mph issue was still there, so we immediately drove it back to the dealership.
After 2 days and not hearing anything but crickets from the dealership, we contacted them to find out what was going on. We were told that “the transmission fluid was low”, they topped it off and took a service drive, but the problems were still there. They indicated that they thought it was possibly a sticking valve in the transmission valve case and were going to be ordering the part. We have not heard anything about the timing for this repair.
The vehicle has a total of 120 miles on it. Has anyone else had similar issues? Should we be concerned about possible damage to the transmission due to the “low transmission fluid”?

·
Premium Member
9,987 Posts
On the plus side, over the years I have had issue with two brand new Chrysler built vehicles that were quickly taken care of and both vehicles gave me long trouble free service. That over the last 42 years.

Reactions: Chugiakguy

·
Registered
813 Posts
Fingers crossed. Major problems are rare these days. I too would be worried just how low the transmission fluid was and would want that statement documented on your paperwork. If for some reason in the near future, just out of warranty, the transmission starts acting up you’ll have some documentation that may support a good will claim.

Reactions: Deranged8258

·
WF approved Offical Jeep Account.
1,662 Posts
My wife and I are new to this forum and joined after purchasing our brand new 2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon w/ 3.0L eco-diesel. We purchased this vehicle last Saturday (5/7/22) from a Jeep dealership here in Central Oregon and my wife was so excited to finally have “a real Jeep” with trading in our 2021 Cherokee. We drove the Rubi for a couple of days and on the 3rd day, at the 90 mile odometer reading, we experienced a check engine light and the vehicle would surge/bog down when we hit the 40-45 mph range. We stopped, put the vehicle in park, turned the engine off and restarted it. It then began to struggle/work hard to get going from the stop position and the 40-45 mph issue was still there, so we immediately drove it back to the dealership.
After 2 days and not hearing anything but crickets from the dealership, we contacted them to find out what was going on. We were told that “the transmission fluid was low”, they topped it off and took a service drive, but the problems were still there. They indicated that they thought it was possibly a sticking valve in the transmission valve case and were going to be ordering the part. We have not heard anything about the timing for this repair.
The vehicle has a total of 120 miles on it. Has anyone else had similar issues? Should we be concerned about possible damage to the transmission due to the “low transmission fluid”?
This certainly sounds frustrating. If you'd like an extra layer of support while your Jeep is at the dealership, send us a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update 5/18/2022

The new Wrangler is still in the shop. Reached out to service rep on Monday (5/16) and was informed that the part that they are wanting to replace to fix the problem (Transmission Valve Body) would be in during the afternoon and if everything checked out, we should have our vehicle back on Tuesday. On Tuesday afternoon, we received a text back from service rep saying that the codes that the engine were throwing were gone but that there were additional codes and that they felt that they had received “a bad part” meaning the new Transmission Valve Body.Last that I heard was that they were checking with Jeep Engineering or STAR to see what next steps should be.

So am I to believe that the original Transmission Valve Body becomes shot at less than 100 miles on a brand new vehicle and then the replacement part received was “bad”? I’m not a very mechanical type of guy but wouldn’t it stand to maybe reason that there are actual issues with the transmission due to the low transmission fluid level initially diagnosed?

Any feedback or recommendations regarding this situation would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Update 5/18/2022

The new Wrangler is still in the shop. Reached out to service rep on Monday (5/16) and was informed that the part that they are wanting to replace to fix the problem (Transmission Valve Body) would be in during the afternoon and if everything checked out, we should have our vehicle back on Tuesday. On Tuesday afternoon, we received a text back from service rep saying that the codes that the engine were throwing were gone but that there were additional codes and that they felt that they had received “a bad part” meaning the new Transmission Valve Body.Last that I heard was that they were checking with Jeep Engineering or STAR to see what next steps should be.

So am I to believe that the original Transmission Valve Body becomes shot at less than 100 miles on a brand new vehicle and then the replacement part received was “bad”? I’m not a very mechanical type of guy but wouldn’t it stand to maybe reason that there are actual issues with the transmission due to the low transmission fluid level initially diagnosed?

Any feedback or recommendations regarding this situation would be greatly appreciated!
At this point I'd get my money back.

·
Registered
2021 JLURD
5 Posts
it's rare but it happens. I bought a new JLURD in February and it's been perfect. back in 2017 I bought a new Camaro and had a minor accident 2 days later. my Camaro was in the shop for 6 months waiting for a part...and this was long before covid, supply chain shortages, oil shortages, inflation and all the other stuff going on today. Eventually after lots of angry emails and phone calls my car was fixed and Chevy gave me lots of free stuff. the reason I chose to post on your thread is to tell you to hang in there, you bought an awesome Vehicle, it'll get fixed but may take some time. work with them and make sure they give you a free loaner and extra's for your inconvenience. It's only been a week after all.

·
Pretty well seen it all
2021 Willys JL manual
238 Posts
Update 5/18/2022

Parts changers. "Lets put this on and see if it works". I'd be demanding a new transmission. Or a new Jeep.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Parts changers. "Lets put this on and see if it works". I'd be demanding a new transmission. Or a new Jeep.
Yeah...honestly I wouldn't feel too confident with a 'It was low on transmission fluid' answer on a brand new 60K+ Rubicon. How much longer term damage has been put on that tranny considering the 'surge/bog down when we hit the 40-45 mph range' ? Sorry that you're dealing with this. Ugh.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts