Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a brand new (about a month old) replacement style BestTop on my YJ. This is my first Jeep, so Im not sure if this is common or not.
Over the past few days it has rained a little here in SoCal (no torrential downpours, just a little rain). When I get in the Jeep and start moving the water will soak through the top and start spraying down on me.
Is this common? Is there something I can put on the top to help stop this? Nothing like getting to work, stepping out of the Jeep and looking like Ive taken a shower (not really, but I am getting pretty wet).
Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok... Checked with a couple other forums and it seems this SHOULD be waterproof, but may need to be sprayed with something to make it actually waterproof. So far today the entire inside of the top is wet.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Are you sure it's not condensation My factory top does that if it rains and it's humid the inside will be soaking wet and rain down on me

·
Registered
374 Posts
I WAS READING BACK ABOUT 3-6 PAGES FROM THE OLD THREADS/POSTS AND SOMEONE WAS TALKING ABOUT APPLYING STUFF LIKE "CAMP DRY" AND "NEETSFOOT OIL" i'M A NEWBEE, BUT I'M READING ALOT OF THE POSTS FOR ANSWERS, HAVE YOU TRIED USING THE SEARCH TOOLS? GOOD LUCK.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I WAS READING BACK ABOUT 3-6 PAGES FROM THE OLD THREADS/POSTS AND SOMEONE WAS TALKING ABOUT APPLYING STUFF LIKE "CAMP DRY" AND "NEETSFOOT OIL" i'M A NEWBEE, BUT I'M READING ALOT OF THE POSTS FOR ANSWERS, HAVE YOU TRIED USING THE SEARCH TOOLS? GOOD LUCK.
Hey thanks for the suggestion... Especially the one about using the search tool. That never dawned on me.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you sure it's not condensation My factory top does that if it rains and it's humid the inside will be soaking wet and rain down on me
It would have to be ALOT of condensation... You can literally see the liquid on the inside of the top and it only has happened the two days it has rained. And this is the more expensive sailcloth top with tinted windows which everyone speaks so highly of.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Is the fabric loose enough to hold water up top when it rains? I think I know what youre talking about, now and then when I get in my jeep in the morning after a rain there will be lots of little drops on the inside of the top waiting to rain down on me at the first bump. This didnt happen to me my first few years with the jeep. Maybe just chance conditions and ive never woken up early enought to notice it before? I would carry a towel and just wipe off the drops above the front seats real quick until I found a way to fix it.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is the fabric loose enough to hold water up top when it rains? I think I know what youre talking about, now and then when I get in my jeep in the morning after a rain there will be lots of little drops on the inside of the top waiting to rain down on me at the first bump. This didnt happen to me my first few years with the jeep. Maybe just chance conditions and ive never woken up early enought to notice it before? I would carry a towel and just wipe off the drops above the front seats real quick until I found a way to fix it.
The top is not loose, and there are no puddles or anything on tap. If it rains tonight I will take pictures in the morning. You can see the liquid on the inside of the top when this has happened the past couple days.
I will call Best Top on Monday and see what they suggest.

·
Registered
591 Posts
That's crazy. I wonder if the top got shipped without whatever waterproofing treatment they put on it? Mine doesn't leak at all in rain, even on the highway in a hard rain.

A little gets in at the car wash where it meets the top of the door because the water is coming up sidways at an upward angle. Nothing that can't be toweled off in 30 seconds.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
3 days after I spoke to them on the phone I received an entire new top (including windows) along with the return label to send the defective one back.
I was very pleased with the outcome, and will hopefully see a substantial difference when it rains again here in Sunny SoCal!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts