Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I'll start this out easy, when it comes to lifting my jeep what all am I going to need? I don't want to buy a "full kit" just to get started and realize I'm missing parts. Never done a lift before, but I've been reading about it. What all would I need to replace while lifting a 95 YJ 4.5"?
I've read about extending break lines, pitman arm, and possibly a new tranny with the bigger tires? And insight would be much appreciated. Remember I'm new so lamense terms are preferred.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I own a TJ so can't help with YJ lifts etc but as a fairly new Jeeper I can offer the following. Take your time, get to know your Jeep and what you want to do with it. My TJ is still stock and I wheel the hell out of it while I'm saving for all of the components that will make it capable of doing what I want to do with it. I didn't know what that was until I wheeled with experienced, helpful Jeepers. You will get opinions on this great forum ranging from doing it super cheap to quite expensive. Use the search feature on here based on your specific questions and you will find an amazing amount of information. Then go have fun in your Jeep and figure out what you want to do. Good luck

·
Registered
303 Posts
Lifted springs, longer shocks, relocate or extended brake lines, drop pitman arm, you don't need a new rear axle unless you are going extremely large tires ( 35's or bigger ) If so then you need a heavier duty rear axle. You might need a t-case drop. You might need a motor lift. You may need shims to change rear axle pinion angle.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Brake lines, Extended Pitman arm (to put it back on track). Shocks (my 3.5" came with shocks and new mounts cause they had to be relocated). Will pretty much "need" a SYE (Slip Yoke Eliminator) at that height. Bigger tires you'll need to regear the rear axle (and front if you still want to 4wheel lol). You can match the gears to the tire size. Which engine do you have? The 4.0 can handle quite a bit lift and tire sizes the 2.5l becomes more and more lethargic ON the road (offroad who cares, put it in 4x4 low lol).

Might have missed a thing or 2

While you don't HAVE to re-gear you will "lose power" as your tire sizes get bigger. I'm "ok" with my 3.55 rears on 31" with the 6 cyl but for optimal use I should be at 4.10. And I do notice it a bit.

·
Registered
160 Posts
a coule of questions:

1. Why are you lifting it?
2. What made you decide on a 4.5" lift?
3. If the answer to #2 above is "bigger tires", i would look into what size tire you can get away with running with your current axle ratio (do you know what your axle ratio is?)...

Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all, its crazy how helpful everyone is on here. I'm still a relatively new jeeper, but I have had my YJ for coming on 2 years now. Just now deciding to get really into working on it. I love it to death, the only problem is the flat leaf springs, and lack of clearance. I've gone out and hit some trails, nothing extreme like I said my springs are flat and I'm not trying to make lifting it harder with breaking something. I would rather lift it now then spend money on fixing the already dead suspension just to lift it down the road.

Jeb0505 I want to lift it so I can go out and have more fun. I live in Idaho so theres a lot of rocks on the trails.
I'm thinking of a 4.5 because I want to be able to go almost anywhere. I want it to look good and kick ass off the road.
And no sir, I do not know. And I understand there will be a lot of grunt research and questions. I'm just dying to get this thing up and start having fun.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One day i'll have a project that I can keep working on like that. I'm 100% envious of that. But I need to do it all in one go, my baby is my daily commute. So that's where most of my questions are stemming from haha

·
Registered
638 Posts
Hey no problem, I understand. Was just giving ya an idea what a 3.5" Spring lift with 31's looked like. Mines a daily driver too I'm just a Weekend Warrior Mechanic lol

On second thought some days the wife has different off days so I COULD power through a 4 day weekend project together at some point and steal her truck :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts