Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again,

So 2014 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Its going to get 35 inch tires, I was wondering if I can hold out on upgrading the ball joints for now.

I will be trail driving it 2 times a month at most and the rest is daily driving. Should I just upgrade them now or can I hold out for a little bit?

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
You will shorten the life of them. How short, not exactly sure. I'd run them until I had an issue then replace them all.

Bob K.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Your ball joints will give you plenty of signs they are wearing out. They won't immediately fail catastrophically. As nwbronco said just run them till they start to fail.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Signs of them starting to fail? I've seen videos for testing them while a wheel is jacked up, but wondering what some on the road signs are? I know I'll be changing to synergy when they do fail.

·
Super Moderator
53,757 Posts
Signs of them starting to fail? I've seen videos for testing them while a wheel is jacked up, but wondering what some on the road signs are? I know I'll be changing to synergy when they do fail.
I experienced a minor clunk over bumps and a general looseness that came on progressively. I felt a bigger difference changing them. If they're bad enough, with other worn parts. Shakes and or a contributor to DW.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I've been running 37s on my '13 nearly 25K so far with no issues, and I'm still wondering how long these "weak" ball joints will hold on. I average a couple times a week on the trail. I admit to having sleeves and gussets in and on the D44.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I've been running 37s on my '13 nearly 25K so far with no issues, and I'm still wondering how long these "weak" ball joints will hold on. I average a couple times a week on the trail. I admit to having sleeves and gussets in and on the D44.
Admitting you have sleeves and gussets is the first step. The next step is recommending them as a preventative measure (35's and up IMHO)

:)

·
Premium Member
7,097 Posts
You don't "have" to, but you should, as well as C gussets. If you are planning on wheeling soon, I'd get the Cs done now. If you are holding off on wheeling, save up some money and get Cs and balljoints done at the same time. You WILL shorten the life of the stock joints with 35s. Also remember, Crown HD, Synergy, and AlloyUSA are exactly the same balljoint, so buy the one you get the best price on. ;) I don't recommend sleeving, I personally think it's a waste of money, since the tubes are still weak at the point where they meet the pumpkin. Save your money for a PR44 if you wheel that hard.

·
Premium Member
7,097 Posts
Crown, Synergy, alloy = same joint.

Proof of this ?
Working on it. I was told numerous times when I was shopping for balljoints that they are all the same. Alloy and Crown are both made in Taiwan but Synergy is made in India....still looking for proof that they are in fact the same thing, so I'll post that up as soon as I find it. Dynatracs are the only made in the usa balljoint available.

·
Premium Member
7,097 Posts
After a little more digging, it seems they are like R&P gears....made by one factory (manufacturer) for each company....some with slightly different specs. Alloys seem to have fairly bad reviews, while synergy's seem great across the board. I take my previous post back...while they seem to be made by the same company, they are indeed different specs, are are not technically the same.

·
Super Moderator
53,757 Posts
After a little more digging, it seems they are like R&P gears....made by one factory (manufacturer) for each company....some with slightly different specs. Alloys seem to have fairly bad reviews, while synergy's seem great across the board. I take my previous post back...while they seem to be made by the same company, they are indeed different specs, are are not technically the same.
Synergy had it out with alloy over on JKO saying they copied their design. Alloy/crown maybe .. But Synergy does their own thing.
Same design ... Maybe ?

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
You will shorten the life of them. How short, not exactly sure. I'd run them until I had an issue then replace them all.

Bob K.
I experienced a minor clunk over bumps and a general looseness that came on progressively. I felt a bigger difference changing them. If they're bad enough, with other worn parts. Shakes and or a contributor to DW.
Good stuff. Kjeeper's description is right on...I replaced mine a couple months ago. '12 JKU with 35" tires, 20K miles. Surprised the stock ball joints lasted that long, frankly, as I do a good bit of wheeling in mud and snow.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Also remember, Crown HD, Synergy, and AlloyUSA are exactly the same balljoint, so buy the one you get the best price on. ;)
Crown, Synergy, alloy = same joint.
Proof of this ?
Working on it. I was told numerous times when I was shopping for balljoints that they are all the same. Alloy and Crown are both made in Taiwan but Synergy is made in India....still looking for proof that they are in fact the same thing, so I'll post that up as soon as I find it. Dynatracs are the only made in the usa balljoint available.
Synergy had it out with alloy over on JKO saying they copied their design. Alloy/crown maybe .. But Synergy does their own thing.
Same design ... Maybe ?
Companies don't steal each other's designs...do they? :tomatoes:

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Good stuff. Kjeeper's description is right on...I replaced mine a couple months ago. '12 JKU with 35" tires, 20K miles. Surprised the stock ball joints lasted that long, frankly, as I do a good bit of wheeling in mud and snow.
I've got 35s & 20k on mine as well & my ball joints are toast (that's why I'm in here reading!).

Who the heck is this guy ^ lol

:wavey:
RIGHT??!!! Long time no see!! Whats up KB!!? :mooning:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts