Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 Rubicon
I'm very new to Jeeps, haven't even purchased one just yet. I just found a 2005 with under 35k miles on her, automatic, 33in tires and beautiful. The issue is the windshield sticker says upon inspection the front axle was found to be a D30 with Detroit TruTrac locker... It's supposed to be a D44 I know but isn't the TruTrac a limited slip locker??? How would this work in unison with the D44 stock locker in the rear??? Or should I steer clear of this rig???

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
I would verify that the 6th position in the VIN is a "6", or it is a clone. Many people will put Rubicon stickers on a Sport or X (d30 fronts) and try to sell it as a Rubi at Rubi prices.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
You need to find out why the D44 was removed and verify that the Rocktrac transfer case was not removed. The original axle may have been damaged in an accident and replaced with the inferior low pinion Dana 30.

If the rig has not been regeared to at least 4.88 you will need to regear. 4.10s combined with 33s and the 442RLE is an unpleasant combo especially on the highway.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Yikes, 20k? I just picked up an 04 Rubi completely stock 5spd for 10k with under 100k, miles...

Definitely find out what happened to the d44... if I were you I'd steer clear of that, too weird with the axles and possibly t case too? You don't want a 30 with that combo imo.

Good luck with the search, or the purchase if you so choose, let us know!

Welcome to WF

1 - 7 of 7 Posts