Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i'm sure everyone on here has heard this a million times but i need help choosing a proper lift kit and soft top for my car. i have a 4 door unlimited x wrangler 2007 model automatic trans.

Im looking for a 3" or 4" but im leaning towards a 4" because i've seen some co workers wranglers with that size and i like the look

I can tell you right now i'm never going to go off road with my jeep and this lift is purely for look so i dont know if that would change your recommendations or not. i've looked at quadratec and some stuff on ebay and the price difference is so big and it looks like every kit comes with different parts so i just dont know what to do. Here are the rims/tires i am going to get:

www.rimzoneonline.com - 18x9 XD Monster Black Toyo MT 35x12.50R18LT

Also i have a hard top and find it very hard to take the top off my car as much as i would like to. Im looking for a soft top but believe i need brackets for it. Not sure where to start

Any help would be appreciated. Ive read a lot of the rules and intros to new people on these forums being total assholes when they are asking strangers for help and i can promise you that wont be me. I want to be an active part of this forum for a long time to come. Happy riding everyone!

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Welcome my man and hope you like the jeep (obviously you will) but why such a large lift an have you read up on all the possible issues having more than a 3" lift will have? I don't know your budget but to go 3 or more is an easy 1000 and that is like bare minimum will need to spend more in the future to keep it running proper. And what lifts you looking at? What kind of budget you wanna stay in? And of course lets see some pictures of this thing so it can be properly diagnosed of course ;)

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
And damn those are expensive wheels an tires $2100 is a bit steep. I recommend going at largest a 17" rim because of the price and tire prices. Go to discounttiredirect and make a package it is much cheaper and they have free mounting and balancing and free shipping an a $50wrangler forum discount. But look that up they are a vendor here and are great to work with if you have any questions holler back

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts
Farnham21 said:
Welcome my man and hope you like the jeep (obviously you will) but why such a large lift an have you read up on all the possible issues having more than a 3" lift will have? I don't know your budget but to go 3 or more is an easy 1000 and that is like bare minimum will need to spend more in the future to keep it running proper. And what lifts you looking at? What kind of budget you wanna stay in? And of course lets see some pictures of this thing so it can be properly diagnosed of course ;)
X15 well put :thumb:

Don't do 4" unless you are ready for it.
35's will fit comfortably under 2.5.
RK's 2.5's coils are perfect for a 4 door.

A bit much on my 2 door but I wanted it that way :)

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
here's my car:

(not my exact car, just what it looks like exactly)

if its more logical to get a 3" lift that i supposed i would do that. less maintenance is always prefrerred. im looking to stay under 800$ for the lift total( not including install obviously) and for the rims thank you for the advice on discount tire direct im going to check it out right now.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
No.

For $800 for an on-road Jeep, you want a 2.5" budget boost, 33" tires, and ProCal to adjust your shift points. That's it.

35s and 4" of lift is going to be way outside of your budget unless you want it to ride terribly and parts to fail early. The lift is going to require a lot more parts and those parts are going to have to be sturdy. Any cheap or improperly installed lift can dangerously affect the handling, and a 4" lift is in that zone of "serious" lifts that have to be particularly well done if you want anything resembling the stock handling you have now.

And 35" tires are going to absolutely murder your acceleration unless you're willing to put in $1200 to $2000 for what's called a "regearing" in which the ring and pinion in your differentials are changed to increase the engine's mechanical advantage over the new oversized tires. Some folks are okay with the power loss without a regearing on pre-2012 JKUs with auto transmissions, but if you spend a lot of time on the highway I don't think you will be.

Lots of learning to do! I'd hold off on any mods for awhile and spend some time kicking around here, searching for and reading threads that interest you, and perusing a copy of the Quadratec catalog. Mistakes made early in modding can be very expensive in the long run. :thumb:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Anything over a simple leveling kit and 33s is overkill, unless you offroad/crawl in moderate to rough terrain on a regular. Way to many jeeps out here with lifts 3"+> that never have or will see a dirt road. My $.02

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you everyone for the help and suggestion so far. MTH, what does a budget boost mean and where can i start to research them? and i believe i know what a pro cal is. is it the piece u hook up under your dash and it will make the proper adjustments to your cars computer to compensate for the change to tires and things like that??

·
Registered
898 Posts
I guess I am on the other side of the fence. If you want a 4" lift and 35" tires and never have any intention of riving into a mud hole or crawling over rock, you want to do it because it looks good go ahead and do it. It's your Jeep, your money! With a lift over 2.5" you are going to need to keep an eye on your driveshafts because of the angle you will be putting them at. New shafts will run you $700. As far as the money you will spend on lifts...there is no doubt the more the spend you more you get, but I have a $500 4" Zone lift on my 2013, it rides like it did when I drove if off the dealers lot and I have no complaints. It's a daily driver and it will never go rock crawling, I does not need a $2000 lift. Depending on the gears you have you will notice a power loss and re-gearing might be a good idea if the loss it too great for your liking.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
I guess I am on the other side of the fence. If you want a 4" lift and 35" tires and never have any intention of riving into a mud hole or crawling over rock, you want to do it because it looks good go ahead and do it. It's your Jeep, your money! With a lift over 2.5" you are going to need to keep an eye on your driveshafts because of the angle you will be putting them at. New shafts will run you $700. As far as the money you will spend on lifts...there is no doubt the more the spend you more you get, but I have a $500 4" Zone lift on my 2013, it rides like it did when I drove if off the dealers lot and I have no complaints. It's a daily driver and it will never go rock crawling, I does not need a $2000 lift. Depending on the gears you have you will notice a power loss and re-gearing might be a good idea if the loss it too great for your liking.
His budget was $800. New shafts: $700. Same lift as you (which I believe has cam bolts . . . sketchy--keep a watch on those): $500. Regearing (remember, unlike you, he has a pre-2012): $1200 to $2000. Way, way out of his budget.

thank you everyone for the help and suggestion so far. MTH, what does a budget boost mean and where can i start to research them? and i believe i know what a pro cal is. is it the piece u hook up under your dash and it will make the proper adjustments to your cars computer to compensate for the change to tires and things like that??
There are two types of suspension lifts. One is a "coil" or "spring" lift. This replaces your coil springs with taller/stiffer coils. The other is a "budget boost," which puts hockey puck type things on top of your existing coils. A budget boost is cheaper and looks just as good, though has certain performance limitations offroad and doesn't generally respond as well to heavy aftermarket accessories like steel bumpers, etc.

You should head over to Quadratec and order one of their free catalogs. That's always a good, general place to start to get a sense of the accessory and mod landscape.

Among many many other things, Q-tec sells the ProCal--which is this. You're right on what it is. The benefit for auto transmission guys is that you can "lie" to your computer about your differential gearing to get it to shift at higher RPMs, giving you a more spirited ride. Another popular choice is a Superchips which does that and some other things, but that alone will eat nearly half of your budget.

·
Registered
898 Posts
His budget was $800. New shafts: $700. Same lift as you (which I believe has cam bolts . . . sketchy--keep a watch on those): $500. Regearing (remember, unlike you, he has a pre-2012): $1200 to $2000. Way, way out of his budget.
His budget is $800 including the install so the Zone lift is well within his budget. Shaft and regearing are something he may or may not need. My shafts are fine (right now) but I continue to watch them but this is an expense I anticipate later down the road. Regearing really has nothing to do with the lift as much as the weight of the tires. I will agree that a 2.5" BB might be a better option with limited funds and will clear the 35s but there are other options out there as well.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
ariindny88 said:
would that same driveshaft issue arise if i were to put a 3.5" lift as opposed to a 4"
Yes. The general rule of thumb is that anything over 3" will cause issues with the stock driveshaft (amongst other things)...

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
BadOleRoss said:
His budget is $800 including the install so the Zone lift is well within his budget. Shaft and regearing are something he may or may not need. My shafts are fine (right now) but I continue to watch them but this is an expense I anticipate later down the road. Regearing really has nothing to do with the lift as much as the weight of the tires. I will agree that a 2.5" BB might be a better option with limited funds and will clear the 35s but there are other options out there as well.
I know I know, I was hard on you but c'mon man--have you ever looked at the gear charts to see what kind of RPMs a pre-2012 auto puts out when it's spinning 35s? Ugh. And the gearing is really more about tire height than weight, though weight certainly matters. So he'd e looking at maybe drive shafts and maybe a regearing--those are some expensive maybes when your budget is $800 to begin with!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
ariindny88 said:
here's my car:

(not my exact car, just what it looks like exactly)

if its more logical to get a 3" lift that i supposed i would do that. less maintenance is always prefrerred. im looking to stay under 800$ for the lift total( not including install obviously) and for the rims thank you for the advice on discount tire direct im going to check it out right now.
Car??? Bad word here :)

·
Registered
873 Posts
Dude,

Stop being a biatch and get a six inch lift. Also, 20 inch rims, 40 inch tires. I don't know why you're thinking small. If you're going to blow big money on a lift you'll never use you might as well go with big tires and wheels.

You probably won't need to bother with gussets, sleeves or trusses, if you bust parts, just have your dealer swap them for you. I'd recommend a less aggressive tread on your tire to cut down on noise. Maybe some Dick Cepek Crushers or some Feirce with the barbed wire.

You will want to do new gears and tires, new drive shafts, that sort of thing. I recommend adding chrome...as much as possible. Of course, 40 inch tires will grab plenty of attention without the chrome.

Dave

so i'm sure everyone on here has heard this a million times but i need help choosing a proper lift kit and soft top for my car. i have a 4 door unlimited x wrangler 2007 model automatic trans.

Im looking for a 3" or 4" but im leaning towards a 4" because i've seen some co workers wranglers with that size and i like the look

I can tell you right now i'm never going to go off road with my jeep and this lift is purely for look so i dont know if that would change your recommendations or not. i've looked at quadratec and some stuff on ebay and the price difference is so big and it looks like every kit comes with different parts so i just dont know what to do. Here are the rims/tires i am going to get:

www.rimzoneonline.com - 18x9 XD Monster Black Toyo MT 35x12.50R18LT

Also i have a hard top and find it very hard to take the top off my car as much as i would like to. Im looking for a soft top but believe i need brackets for it. Not sure where to start

Any help would be appreciated. Ive read a lot of the rules and intros to new people on these forums being total assholes when they are asking strangers for help and i can promise you that wont be me. I want to be an active part of this forum for a long time to come. Happy riding everyone!

·
Registered
898 Posts
I know I know, I was hard on you but c'mon man--have you ever looked at the gear charts to see what kind of RPMs a pre-2012 auto puts out when it's spinning 35s? Ugh. And the gearing is really more about tire height than weight, though weight certainly matters. So he'd e looking at maybe drive shafts and maybe a regearing--those are some expensive maybes when your budget is $800 to begin with!
Agreed!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts