Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't see any definitive opinions when searching for this. Looking to pick up one of these for a 2015 JKU with factory NAV. Seems like the 8837 has a higher quality camera but the 8847 is adjustable with parking lines. Opinions on which one is more useful - the better camera or the gridlines?

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Didn't see any definitive opinions when searching for this. Looking to pick up one of these for a 2015 JKU with factory NAV. Seems like the 8837 has a higher quality camera but the 8847 is adjustable with parking lines. Opinions on which one is more useful - the better camera or the gridlines?
I have the 8847 w/parking lines which I find helpful. The camera is not great at night unless you are using some sort of back up illumination, and then it's fine.

The finish has held up really well being exposed to Chicago winters.

-Steven

·
Registered
132 Posts
Wiring

I have the 8847 w/parking lines which I find helpful. The camera is not great at night unless you are using some sort of back up illumination, and then it's fine.

-Steven
Did you happen to get the newer harness setup? Where did you wire the power and ground? I'm a complete novice at this stuff.

Thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts

-Steven
Did you happen to get the newer harness setup? Where did you wire the power and ground? I'm a complete novice at this stuff.

Thanks
I ordered the 8847 too and installed it, then my 430N died 2 weeks later and I kicked myself.

My 8847 has two wires near the rear and then another wire connected to the yellow RCA.
I ended up splicing at the rear 12V by the factory amp. Quadratec sells a pricy adapter harness that plugs into to same 12V connector and allows you to run a line from there..but you can take it out no problems.

My new Pioneer HU can add the line to the camera so I wish I had taken a better quality camera.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yikes

I ordered the 8847 too and installed it, then my 430N died 2 weeks later and I kicked myself.

My 8847 has two wires near the rear and then another wire connected to the yellow RCA.
I ended up splicing at the rear 12V by the factory amp. Quadratec sells a pricy adapter harness that plugs into to same 12V connector and allows you to run a line from there..but you can take it out no problems.

My new Pioneer HU can add the line to the camera so I wish I had taken a better quality camera.
Are you thinking the 430N died because of wiring or flashing or just something else? That's not at all encouraging

·
Sponsoring Vendor
2,509 Posts
Hey there!

We do offer a bunch of different back up camera kits! We also offer a forum discount to all forum members! If you find something on our website that you like just send us a PM with the part number(s) and your information and we will get back to you ASAP with a quote! If you have any questions please feel free to let us know! Have a great day!

https://www.quadratec.com/categories/jeep-audio-electronics/backup-cameras

-Justin

·
Registered
86 Posts

Are you thinking the 430N died because of wiring or flashing or just something else? That's not at all encouraging
Completely unrelated! I tried to flash a firmware update and it worked until it didn't. I did all the troubleshooting. It went to the Jeep UConnect screen and nothing worked...pulled the hard drive, etc and nothing. Figured it was time to try something new

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I used the 9002-8848.
It came with the new style harness, and I ordered an
extension harness so I could slide it through the factory sleeve on the tailgate, as I was not happy with the length of the supplied harness.
I am using a 430N, so I did not need the camera powered on all the time. I tapped into the b/u light circuit and ground in the right rear corner of the tub where the harness runs down to the tail light assembly.
I used the Jscan app to enable the camera option on the 430N radio, with the
Veepeak OBDCheck BLE OBD2 Bluetooth adapter .
Like another member said, it's not very good in the dark, and it does have the stationary parking lines. I did also add the Led CHMSL, which is a nice little plug and play add on.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Sorry another, maybe dumb, question.

If I wire into the back cigarette lighter, I've read that it's always hot, is that an issue? Will the camera always be on and constantly drain my battery?

Also there is a black wire and a blue/red wire. Does the red wire from the harness go to the blue/red wire? The black wire goes to black wire or I ground it to the vehicle?

No clue

·
Registered
86 Posts
Sorry another, maybe dumb, question.

If I wire into the back cigarette lighter, I've read that it's always hot, is that an issue? Will the camera always be on and constantly drain my battery?

Also there is a black wire and a blue/red wire. Does the red wire from the harness go to the blue/red wire? The black wire goes to black wire or I ground it to the vehicle?

No clue
to be honest, i don't remember a blue wire. I think the instructions said I only needed to connect 1 of the black wires (one in the back and 1 in the front) (I may also have my colors completely wrong).
I wired both into the 12V wires that were going in. I tested everything before i closed it all off. That's why I said I may have splurged on the quadratec adapter ($40) to avoid any cutting.

regarding the back cigarette lighter - it has a switched fuse - so you can move it to be always on or accessory on. when i checked, it was set to always on, i pulled the fuse, moved it over and made it accessory on so when the car is on only.

·
Registered
132 Posts
switchable fuse

to be honest, i don't remember a blue wire. I think the instructions said I only needed to connect 1 of the black wires (one in the back and 1 in the front) (I may also have my colors completely wrong).
I wired both into the 12V wires that were going in. I tested everything before i closed it all off. That's why I said I may have splurged on the quadratec adapter ($40) to avoid any cutting.

regarding the back cigarette lighter - it has a switched fuse - so you can move it to be always on or accessory on. when i checked, it was set to always on, i pulled the fuse, moved it over and made it accessory on so when the car is on only.
alright, looks like m7 is switchable and power outlet #2, so i'm assuming it's that one

but is there a wire running in the tailgate itself that i could tap into?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I can't figure this out. Any help or guidance would be much appreciated. The Brandmotion directions are crap. I've got the newer wire setup and it seems like the red/black wires at the rear aren't actually long enough to get to the cigarette lighter. Seems like a sh-tty design. Are there any wires that I can tap into in the tailgate? I know there is a blue/red wire going to power tailgate lock, but not sure that is enough power for the camera. Seems like I can ground the black to any black wire in the tailgate bundle of wires.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I can't figure this out. Any help or guidance would be much appreciated. The Brandmotion directions are crap. I've got the newer wire setup and it seems like the red/black wires at the rear aren't actually long enough to get to the cigarette lighter. Seems like a sh-tty design. Are there any wires that I can tap into in the tailgate? I know there is a blue/red wire going to power tailgate lock, but not sure that is enough power for the camera. Seems like I can ground the black to any black wire in the tailgate bundle of wires.
So I routed the wires behind the tire via the vent flaps (I'm sure there are people who will say it's a bad idea) and then out and along the with the rest of the cables. Once on the other side, my cabling split with the RCA cable I ran up behind the sub/carpeting and the 2 wires behind the sub. I spliced them probably closer to where the factory wiring split for the 12V and the sub.

Can't take any pictures now but when I get a chance I'll try to take the sub out and take a photo

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
So, it sounds like you have the same shitty short harness that I have.
It has 1 power wire up front by the RCA plug, and a black and red in the back.
I got one of these extension harness from Amazon. I ran the extension harness through the OEM wire sleeve between the body and tailgate, through the tailgate, and out the rubber grommet for the third brake light and connected that to the camera feed.
I plugged in the camera extension harness, connected the red power wire to the backup light feed wire in the right rear corner of the tub, and the black to the ground, where they go down to the tail light assembly. I then coiled up the spare wire and secured it to the top of the fender well behind the roll bar with some adhesive backed foam tape, with a strip of Gorilla tape to secure it.
Followed the OEM wire harness up to the dash. Tape up the red power wire(not needed), and plug the RCA plug from the harness into the 430 adapter.
Activated the cam function in the 430N with Jscan, tried it out and all good.
Put your dash back together, as well as your carpeting/molding in rear, and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks All, mission accomplished.

I lost patience a bit, ended up tapping into the front cigarette lighter for power and used the ground in the tailgate connected to the 3rd brake light.

I'm not blown away with the camera quality, but it works fine.

Some notes on Brandmotion. I ordered the kit from Northridge and it came in a generic box, not retail packaging. Aside from the fast that that harness and wiring was completely different than what was shown on either website, the flash module didn't act the way I had read online, ie no horn honks to note that it was done. I did the flash before installing everything just to make sure uconnect was updated on my 430N head unit.

I guess in the end it all worked, but I would probably recommend buying a different kit and figure out how to turn on functionality another way. Since I spent $400 for this kit. 9002-8847. Like go jscan route and buy a kit for less than $100 or so.

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
Some pics of the process

I am borrowing a couple of @arahambone 's pics, to show where I routed my camera's wiring. Its thru the available external wiring grommet, and then thru the associated internal hole.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts