Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love this new camera. Bought it from Quadratec. I chose this model over AEV's, because this one doesn't integrate a third break light.

Yes, it did set me back a good chunk of change, but that's OK. Also had to pay someone someone to install it. But it works great. Did suck that I now have to go without my tire cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
I installed mine a couple months ago. Great camera, absolutely love it. Was worth the price. Easy, clean installation, connected it to mygig lock pick.

·
Registered
263 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
It does have a backup grid/lines. They were there when I powered it up, I did not look through the options to see if they could be removed. There are some good videos on YouTube that compar several of the popular choices for camerasand thier options and quality.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A few comments:
AgenCircus/TxWrnglr - Mine does NOT show backup grid lines or anything. I should read through the manual that came with it to see if that was something that should have been turned on when it was installed.

WaltA - I just checked the price direct from Brand Motion. It was $650. So if there is the 25% discount that comes out to $488.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Brand motion discount code isn't working. Also did a little more research and looks like the model they are using with the newer units (adjustable bracket) is a generic CMOS camera - this adds parking lines if desired, the older one is a Panasonic camera that is advertised to be super crisp. I've never seen both in action and I'd assume it wouldn't make too much of a difference with or crappy 430 displays, but would be nice to hear from users that have seen both.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
It will work just as well as the op's system. I installed the $18 Amazon camera, had the dealer flash my head unit for $50, installed it myself in about an hour. $68 and one hour of time is a good estimate of the lower end of the cost spectrum. AEV and the OP's system are a good estimate of the higher end of the cost spectrum.

On edit: I had to buy a connector and video feed adapter that cost less than$20 on Amazon. There is a great thread here that details the inexpensive install procedure.

:eek: Mercy sakes!

I'm hoping my $18 camera off Amazon works out OK.

·
Super Moderator
10,637 Posts
Yes, the promo code doesn't work anymore.

Quadratec's $520 price appears to include the discount already.

·
Premium Member
7,469 Posts
It will work just as well as the op's system. I installed the $18 Amazon camera, had the dealer flash my head unit for $50, installed it myself in about an hour. $68 and one hour of time is a good estimate of the lower end of the cost spectrum. AEV and the OP's system are a good estimate of the higher end of the cost spectrum.

On edit: I had to buy a connector and video feed adapter that cost less than$20 on Amazon. There is a great thread here that details the inexpensive install procedure.
I'm wondering why some people are willing to pay such a high price for something that apparently does the same thing as our inexpensive $18 cameras. I guess I don't see the point.

I know about that build thread and I'll be following it when I get some time to install my camera. I tested it on my 53" TV and the video looks great on it.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
I'm wondering why some people are willing to pay such a high price for something that apparently does the same thing as our inexpensive $18 cameras. I guess I don't see the point.
While not specifically about the Brandmotion, which you are paying a premium for the R&D effort they put in for a complete kit, my point would be that you are fooling yourself into thinking that your "inexpensive $18 camera" does everything the more expensive cameras can do. My Kenwood has fully adjustable lines, multiple camera views (back, down, left, right), and split screen modes to show multiple views to display at the same time.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I looked at Kenwood, but I couldn't bring myself to pay $400 for a camera that provides a (multiple) view(s) of what is behind the Jeep. It is uber cool though! I wired my camera so that I can unbolt it and replace with a better camera in about 10 minutes in case I change my mind. :)

While not specifically about the Brandmotion, which you are paying a premium for the R&D effort they put in for a complete kit, my point would be that you are fooling yourself into thinking that your "inexpensive $18 camera" does everything the more expensive cameras can do. My Kenwood has fully adjustable lines, multiple camera views (back, down, left, right), and split screen modes to show multiple views to display at the same time.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hell, I paid $10 for my chinese ccd camera off ebay and it works great. If it gets destroyed from the weather/mud/puddles, I'll slap another one in there and call it a day.

If you're happy with the Brandmotion camera, that's all that matters. It does look like a good bit of kit.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Did anyone install the 8838? If you did how did you get the wiring harness through the vents into the tailgate? The one I just received, the connection pin will not fit through the vent.:pullinghair:

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
If you did how did you get the wiring harness through the vents into the tailgate? The one I just received, the connection pin will not fit through the vent.:pullinghair:
For my camera, I routed the wiring thru an unused rubber grommet just to the right (passenger) side of the spare tire mount. You'll find the matching routing hole under the black plastic horizontal trim on the inside of the tailgate.

Though, I also removed the plastic housing from the end of the cable. Usually, you will find a way to release the pins and wiring from the plastic housing (a small push-barb on the pin). Just do that, noting which goes where, and then re-insert pins back in after you finish snaking the wiring.

I posted some pictures here. You can see my camera wiring, which might help.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts