Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning guys,

I just bought and installed Brawlee’s tailgate LED bar. The quality and fitment is great but I had some questions about the wiring.

Do you guys know of a way to wire the LED so it only turns on when the tailgate door is open? It’s currently tapped into the dome light switch so when you open any door the LED turns on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Having it turn on when the glass is opened would actually be most ideal for me. Didn’t know tilt switches existed. Did some searching and found a waterproof Directed Electronics - Ball Bearing Tilt Switch for $6

Now I just have to poke around the wiper motor and see if I can find a constant 12v. If so, I’ll run the wire up inside the hardtop and back out by the motor where I can also hide the tilt switch.

Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Cool. Let us know how that comes out. I ended up wiring as directed in the instructions to the courtesy lights. I would rather have it on when you raise the glass and have the wiring stay contained in the hardtop.

Good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool. Let us know how that comes out. I ended up wiring as directed in the instructions to the courtesy lights. I would rather have it on when you raise the glass and have the wiring stay contained in the hardtop.

Good luck
Wanted to report back and say the tilt switch was a success 👍🏻 I tapped into the 12v constant and ran the wires in between the weather stripping.

The control module needs constant power in order to remember your last setting and not have it flicker when turned on so I spliced the tilt switch into the ground wire in between the wireless control module and led strip.

All the wires are hidden in the hardtop. Last step is to add a disconnect on the drivers side where the other connections are.

Light now turns on when the glass is at its fully open position. I’ll get pictures posted when I get a chance.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Wanted to report back and say the tilt switch was a success. I’ll get pictures posted when I get a chance.
that's awesome, looking forward to seeing it

I've had mine drawn up for...........ooooh, about 5 months now, and just haven't gotten around to doing it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I personally just plugged it into the 12v in the rear. I did this because I have the control and thought it would be functional in emergency cases vs just having a solid light on. Also have read that some people hardwired it with the control module and having the module fail.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that's awesome, looking forward to seeing it

I've had mine drawn up for...........ooooh, about 5 months now, and just haven't gotten around to doing it.
Here is a short video and a picture of the tilt switch. I opened up the enclosure for the tilt switch and bent it up a bit in order to get a better on/off angle and avoid it turning on when hitting bumps.

If I took more time I could have used heat-shrink on the connections but just crimped it with butt connections and wrapped it with electrical tape instead. So far so good.

https://youtu.be/LwZhgAEIqcI

1 - 11 of 11 Posts