Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was reading all about you talented besterds installing this awesome rear tailgate Brawlee LED light a few days ago....loved it. Bought one. I came back here to read up on the switch twist (some of you had added a on/off switch between the quick-disconnect on the remote and the 12v cig-adapter in the rear pane:winner:).....and now I can't find jack!

Pleeease, somebody relocate this post to that thread. Admin? You there? Help this newb out navigate this heaven of JK info!

·
Registered
4,142 Posts

·
Administrator
16,992 Posts
So I was reading all about you talented besterds installing this awesome rear tailgate Brawlee LED light a few days ago....loved it. Bought one. I came back here to read up on the switch twist (some of you had added a on/off switch between the quick-disconnect on the remote and the 12v cig-adapter in the rear pane:winner:).....and now I can't find jack!

Pleeease, somebody relocate this post to that thread. Admin? You there? Help this newb out navigate this heaven of JK info!
Is this the thread you're referring to?
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/brawlee-hardtop-rear-glass-led-light-2302209.html

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let me go check these two...stand by.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
https://www.wranglerforum.com/search.php?searchid=104626581

Does this help at all? Maybe you'll remember the thread name?
OK, this thread is not loading at all. Can't see anything. Let me check the other one posted also. (Thank you for trying!)

And you are in Wisconsin. Great to see guys "near by." WI pipeline going to be my 1st Spring trip. I think the closest trail head for me is in Cravits, about 3.5 hrs N of Chicago. I wanna go get lost with my new Jeep and trail north to the UP border. A place called, wait for it, Gay Beach, WI. That was my last trip with the Disco and we had a blast. Black sand area right off of the Lake. Very cool. I digress....back to my Brawlee:drinks:

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This one loads well. It's closer, but no, that's not it. The other one I read before had a bunch of guys using a Halo 5-pin switch, a rocker switch, a couple of guys were using a fun red fighter jet rocker, etc...ppl were running the LED light to the quick connect for the remote, then running that wire to a on/off switch, and THEN tapping the hot on their 12v outlet in the rear cargo area.

Thank you for trying also! I appreciate it.

·
Administrator
16,992 Posts
This one loads well. It's closer, but no, that's not it. The other one I read before had a bunch of guys using a Halo 5-pin switch, a rocker switch, a couple of guys were using a fun red fighter jet rocker, etc...ppl were running the LED light to the quick connect for the remote, then running that wire to a on/off switch, and THEN tapping the hot on their 12v outlet in the rear cargo area.

Thank you for trying also! I appreciate it.
More.

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/brawlee-led-light-bar-tailgate-switch-2368529.html

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/rear-cargo-area-lighting-2350289.html

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
OK, this thread is not loading at all. Can't see anything. Let me check the other one posted also. (Thank you for trying!)

And you are in Wisconsin. Great to see guys "near by." WI pipeline going to be my 1st Spring trip. I think the closest trail head for me is in Cravits, about 3.5 hrs N of Chicago. I wanna go get lost with my new Jeep and trail north to the UP border. A place called, wait for it, Gay Beach, WI. That was my last trip with the Disco and we had a blast. Black sand area right off of the Lake. Very cool. I digress....back to my Brawlee:drinks:
I may have to check that out. I haven't seen much black sand. I grew up in Green Bay and Door County - currently in OKC but we're trying to make the move back north again this year - hopefully. We still get up there in summer at least.

There are quite a few WI Jeep groups on Facebook too. I hate using FB, but it's been the best way to find a planned trip to join.

More links -

^^^^^^ check post #23

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/brawlee-hardtop-rear-glass-led-light-2302209.html

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I may have to check that out. I haven't seen much black sand. I grew up in Green Bay and Door County - currently in OKC but we're trying to make the move back north again this year - hopefully. We still get up there in summer at least.

There are quite a few WI Jeep groups on Facebook too. I hate using FB, but it's been the best way to find a planned trip to join.

More links -

^^^^^^ check post #23

YEP, thank you. I sent HIM on Post#23 specifically, a PM message. That's the hook up I think I want.

I already have a lighted 5-pin HALO on/off switch. **I THINK the power source (Brawlee LED) black- wire goes to 1 pin in the switch AND same to the 12V black wire on the 12v outlet; the power source LED+ red wire goes to 2 pins in the switch TBD, and then 1 pin C (constant) from the switch goes to the red+ wire on the 12V power outlet. That way you always have power to it, but if switch is on, LED light is on. If the switch is off, LED light is off.

I've prolly researched JUST enough "knowledge" to set myself on fire!:pc-ouch:

I think when the LED wires come into the cab, you can chose to plug-in the remote harness or not, and then continue on to either the dome light wiring per the instructions, or the 12V constant power most have back there.

Now I've gotta figure out HOW to remove that friggin' plastic panel back there housing the 12v outlet :pullinghair:

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, so I (almost) completed this project, and I figured I post some feedback to everybody that took the time to help me sort out the process....
1. The Brawlee LED light itself fits perfectly, as expected. Long strip of double sided tape keeps it in place, dispite the curvature of the light
2. The black clips help run the wire along side the rear glass tail gate very cleanly.
3. I deviated a bit from the instructions, and I hid the wire along side the rubber seal of the hard top coming down to "meet" the carpet. 100% invisible.
4. I hooked up the short (12"?) remote control patch, and that's all the wiring you see on that rear passenger side of the cabin. You can unplug this right here to remove the hard top, or if the remote were ever to fail, you can remove it here and simply reconnect the ends. No other work or rewiring necessary.
5. Taking the plastic rear passenger plastic panel was interesting. There are two (2) Torx bolts (attached to ratchet strap rings) on the storage area floor, which must be removed. Then there is one (1) 12 or 13mm nut well hidden behind the roll bar post. You must remove small the seat belt cover plastic bit also. That's it. You can push, pull, shift, and play with with the panels until they loosen up. Take your time. Gently, is the goal here....
6. I have a 12V outlet in the rear area of my Recon, so I deviated again from the Brawlee instructions. While the sought after "dome light harness" is right there and easily visible now, I wanted to install a ON/OFF switch, so I wasn't dependent on the dome light stock Jeep timer, or the remote control while having a huge 12v plug sticking out of the panel. Soooo....
7. I drilled a 19mm hole close to the 12V existing outlet.
8. I built a small harness, connecting as follows:
A) WHITE wire from switch (C= Constant) to the red+ on the existing 12v outlet (always hot),
B) RED and BLUE wires from the switch, connected together, stay in the switch (this gives you ON/OFF) AND connect to the RED BRAWLEE LED LIGHT red+ wire
C) BLACK wire from BRAWLEE LED LIGHT to black- wire in switch AND black- wire at 12v outlet (always grounded)
D) BROWN wire is deleted and capped. No connection.
Sounds way more complicated that it really is. Trust me. I'm no mechanic!
9. And for the grand finale, after I tested everything out and I was so proud of myself, I put the panel back....and promptly ripped the sh*t out of the stupid cheap Chinese switch! Yep, you guessed it. Not enough space /clearance for it, so it ripped it.ughhhh......

So now I'm on the hunt for a new, low profile switch. I learned that I want a larger switch (19mm hole seemed pretty small), prolly 3 or 4 pins. No 5 pin needed. And SMALLER on the back to if. The initial 5-pin Halo switch had a nice plug in harness, but made the already-long 37mm switch even longer with the plug in harness. I was prolly all in at 55+mm?? I didn't measure it because I was so disgusted I flang it across the yard!
Anyway, I will post some good pics after I get whatever switch I get, but again, thank you to everybody that took their own time to help me.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
100,623 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Was there a question about the brawlee light you needed answered
Nah, I eventually figured it all out. Great light for the rear of the JK's darkest area. I even put it on a side-cubby mounted switch, just to complicate things LOL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts