Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody. I recently broke a torx socket trying to replace the hinges on my 2000 TJ. Anybody else have trouble breaking the torx bolts loose on their doors? I can't really get any lubricating oil behind there so I'm not sure what to do. And I'd hate to break another tool. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

·
delicate %$^&*@ flower
14,751 Posts
I had to use an impact wrench.... I think that's the right name, and I also ended up heating the bolt because of the blue locktite they use.

Good luck. The torx just about killed me, but they will come out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I thought of that but right now I don't have access to an impact wrench. Maybe I can swing by a body shop and see if they'd help.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
not on torx bolts Tiny.. i hate those things with all my heart!!! get an impact wrench.. if not on compressed air, get electric one!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I use a hand held impact for them bolts. After breaking the 1st original off and having to recoverit, I decided that the hand held would free em up before I played with them, two light/wacks each on each screw before I messed with it. For me they all came loose.

Disclaimer: This worked for me, it may not work for you, it may not work period for anyone outside of my labortory experiment. Therefore do not try this at home thinking that I can be blamed!

:eek:

·
delicate %$^&*@ flower
14,751 Posts
not on torx bolts Tiny.. i hate those things with all my heart!!! get an impact wrench.. if not on compressed air, get electric one!

I got out the first couple with a breaker bar (broke on off too, the bolt, not the bar), but found that I was too short to get my weight into it (windshield hinge). Standing on a box didn't help, and then Pops suggested the impact wrench...... and dang if he didn't have one.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
my auto teacher said electric impacts are just as good as air ones.. just dont need air so they are cheaper as the over all cost goes if you don't have a compressor but they are a bit more expensive than just regular air gun..

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Go pickup a set of quality torx sockets, the kind that are set into the socket not the kind that are all one piece. Sears, Lowes, True Value all sell them, next get a 3/8 to 1/2 inch socket adapter and 2" 1/2 extension and a big 1/2" ratchet, hammer too, I use a deadblow for no rebounding.
Take the 2" extension with the 3/8 to 1/2 adapter and the correct torx bit and start it in the torx you want to remove. Next take the deadblow and give it one sharp wack, this will seat the torx in the hole, without moving the torx setup attach the 1/2 ratchet and loosen, remember lefty loosey, righty tighty...
I have not stripped one since doing it that way, guy at a jeep only recycling yard showed me that trick. Don't even bother with a 3/8 inch rachet or breaker bar. The combo above always works for me.

·
Registered
489 Posts
same thing happened to me, just get the torx socket put it on the bolt and give it a good wach prior trying to loosen it. This should help break free the bolt. Worked for me

·
Registered
92 Posts
In a related question, does anyone know where you can get just the Torx bolts for the windshield hinge. Jeep wants to sell you the hinge set ($104) just to get the bolts.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
go to your local hardware store and look there.. hopefully you'll be in luck and they will have pefectly the same ones

stores... home depot, minards, ace hardware, maybe murrays,..

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
i would use some grade 8 bolts of same thread size and what not for replacements. then you never have to worry about torx again

·
Pushy, Loudmouthed, and Ballsy
6,177 Posts
torx are for dorx.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts