Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has a 2014 JKU and I just purchased a 2015 JK last month. I have noticed that if the wife's JKU has sat several days without running, when the engine is first started, I get 2-3 seconds of a ticking noise from the engine right after start-up. The past weekend, I put my JK in the garage from Thursday evening until Sunday afternoon and the same thing happened. Only lasts for a couple of seconds right after start-up. JKU has 4000 miles and JK only has 370 miles as of this morning. Is this normal? It's like the engine is staved for oil for a few seconds. If the jeeps are driven everyday, I don't hear the ticking. I have noticed this a few times with my 2005 Ram truck but that's usually if I haven't driven it in a week or so. Maybe all the oil draining to the pan and it takes a few seconds to start pumping to the engine?

·
Registered
533 Posts
This is normal for the 3.6

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I guessed it was the hydraulic valve adjusters prior to the oil pressure building up. All 3.6 I have had have done it.

I start the jeep from inside the house now so I don't have to hear it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mine ticks for a few seconds on almost every cold start. I believe this is why the changed the oil filer design for the 2014's

·
RETIRED MODERATER
36,226 Posts
That's pretty much it. I'm not sure how the 3.6 works but W/ most engines, a quality filter with anti drain back valve helps.
Ken, the 3.6 doesn't have a ADV.......:nonono:
SilverSport and I use to debate that issue. He said that it didn't have one, and he was correct!!!!!!

I switched from 5-20 oil to 5-30 and the ticking stopped.
^^^Yep, this will help, at least it did in mine, also.........:thumb:

·
Registered
844 Posts
I switched from 5-20 oil to 5-30 and the ticking stopped.
Good! I have all the stuff for my next oil change sitting on the work bench and it will be getting the Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 synthetic this time. I have heard this before which is why I decided to switch.

·
RETIRED MODERATER
36,226 Posts
Good! I have all the stuff for my next oil change sitting on the work bench and it will be getting the Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 synthetic this time. I have heard this before which is why I decided to switch.
^^^:thumb:

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2013 Wrangler has 20k miles on it and it has a 5 second tick/knock on cold startups. I took it to the dealer yesterday and they told me this is normal for Jeeps. We have had Jeeps in our family for years and never ran into this with a new one. Would anyone else take their word for it or are they trying to bs me? I have 9k more miles until the warranty runs out. I'm afraid they are trying to hold me out until that time. Also, my check engine light came on a week ago. My son put his tester on it and it showed an evap leak. The same dealer told me not to worry about that either. hmmm. Does anyone else think this sounds like the runaround? Maybe because I'm a woman and shouldn't know the difference? lol :)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I get a couple seconds of ticking at startup in my 2012 with 5w30 synthetic.
Likewise. I think it's just nature of the beast.

I will be switching to Redline 5w30 for the next oil change. High moly content should provide added lubrication on cold starts. We shall see.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I run 0w30 in mine and that has nearly eliminated my dry start valve train noise. In fact I can't remember the last time I heard it. I just changed my oil and used another Wix 57526 filter. They have updated/changed the design and it now has a silicone ball in it that is supposed to act like an anti drain back valve. Just an FYI.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I run 0w30 in mine and that has nearly eliminated my dry start valve train noise. In fact I can't remember the last time I heard it. I just changed my oil and used another Wix 57526 filter. They have updated/changed the design and it now has a silicone ball in it that is supposed to act like an anti drain back valve. Just an FYI.
What year is yours ?

If I were ordering new, I'd order the engine block heater. I had that same start up noise with a 1989 GMC Sierra with a 350 and a 1991 Jimmy 4.3 V6.
The block heater , while a p.i.t.a. to connect on a regular basis during below 50 degree weather( the intent is for much lower temps), it helped after extended day sit . I believe the warm coolant expands the internals and thins the oil ; allowing it to come up much faster to lubricate the valve train, bearings , etc.

One of these days, I'm going to install the Mopar block heater , but the problem is that the coolant is ridiculous expensive ( north of $36 a gal) and my 2013 JKU has just 17K miles. The coolant is good for something like 125,000 miles or more.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts