Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking up my 15 JK Unlimited Sahara tomorrow. I had one as a rental a few weeks ago. The headlights were not as bright at night as I envisioned them to be. Are there any aftermarket bulbs I can buy to increase the brightness? I am not really into upgrading to LED's or doing any headlight modifications just yet. Just looking for an easy installation. Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Full led housings are a very easy swap but not cheap... you could just upgrade the bulbs to a better bulb but the improvement will be pretty minimal.
Whichever way you go DO NOT SWITCH TO HID BULBS IN FACTORY HOUSINGS!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I am sure you should be able to find some brighter bulbs , which will burn hotter, and wear out at expensive and annoyingly frequent intervals if they are anything like I have had experience with in my wife's van. I know you specifically mentioned you don't want to go with the LED's, but doing that was probably the single biggest improvement I have done to date on my Jeep. You can find a pair of Trucklites and their respective antiflicker harnesses (all plug n play) on Ebay for about $400. While not cheap, I felt the originals were a real safety concern to my aging eyes, and now I have a reliable set of headlights that turn night into day, and should last longer than I will. To me, the way those suckers illuminate street signs, animals in the night, or whatever might be out there was well worth the investment. Sorry if this isn't the info you are looking for, but being so satisfied with the route I chose to solve the same issue, I felt it was important to pass along my experience.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Spend $120 for new Cibie headlights housings, H13 to H4 adapter and Phillips Xtreme Power 80 bulbs. Seems like most people on the forum (including me) that don't want to take out a loan for LEDs (kidding of course) but want an improvement go this route.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am sure you should be able to find some brighter bulbs , which will burn hotter, and wear out at expensive and annoyingly frequent intervals if they are anything like I have had experience with in my wife's van. I know you specifically mentioned you don't want to go with the LED's, but doing that was probably the single biggest improvement I have done to date on my Jeep. You can find a pair of Trucklites and their respective antiflicker harnesses (all plug n play) on Ebay for about $400. While not cheap, I felt the originals were a real safety concern to my aging eyes, and now I have a reliable set of headlights that turn night into day, and should last longer than I will. To me, the way those suckers illuminate street signs, animals in the night, or whatever might be out there was well worth the investment. Sorry if this isn't the info you are looking for, but being so satisfied with the route I chose to solve the same issue, I felt it was important to pass along my experience.
Do you happen to have part numbers, etc for Trucklites? Are they easy to install? If so maybe I will give more consideration to this. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
14,533 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Do you happen to have part numbers, etc for Trucklites? Are they easy to install? If so maybe I will give more consideration to this. Thanks
Truck Lite 27270C Jeep JK Kit 7" Round LED Headlight Pair Anti Flicker Harness | eBay

This is the setup I got. I actually ended up getting them from this seller too. They came fast and everything was as expected. It kind of sucked for me though, because I got hit with sales tax because we are in the same state.

Now, by no means am I suggesting that you have to use these guys. There were about 800 results when I did a search on eBay to find this link. At the time, they were the cheapest for the lights and the anti-flicker harnesses. Now, I am not sure if that is the case or not. Just make sure you look at the pictures of what everyone is selling because it does appear some are using the term "truck lights" as a way to drive traffic to their listing, but it may not be the read deal.

Additionally, you may wish to search the forum to make a decision as to whether you want to spend the extra for the anti-flicker harnesses or not. There are mixed thoughts on if they are indeed necessary or not. I like my stuff to work flawlessly, so I felt it was a small investment to guarantee that.

As for Pressurized recommending the Quadratec version of these lights, I have no personal experience with them. I can tell you that he is kind of known as an authority on a lot of stuff in this forum though, and I have no doubts that if he recommends them, they are good. You certainly may want to go that direction too. If you do, a guy by the name of Rick is on this forum and represents Quadratec. He will normally offer a forum discount for various stuff that Quadratec sells, so keep that in mind. You just have to pm him with a request to see what he is able to do.

My personal opinion is that both of them are likely high quality lights. Again, I have no direct experience with the other version. I did look at them, but opted for the Trucklites because I thought they were a little more aesthetically pleasing when looking at the assembly when not in use. Yes, I know that is a small thing, and also a matter of personal preference, so you and others may feel differently.

Either route you go, I am confident you will get a very good alternative to the terrible OEM lights that we start out with. I honestly didn't even feel safe with them, as I have a lot of dark roads in the country that I travel on. Upgrading made a night and day difference, ha ha!

Keep us posted as to what you decide and what your thoughts are after you have an opportunity to try them.

·
Registered
548 Posts
As long as you order lights that are made for "Jeep", the swap is silly easy. 6 plastic rivots on the Grill cover, 1/4 twist out the turn signals housings. 4 2mm or 3mm screws out of the headlight assembly...Unplug, plug in new. Reverse to put back.

It's almost scary how fast parts can be removed.....ok..it is scary.

You will pay a little more for the LEDs(I have the Quadratec ones)

The difference between stock and any of the recommendations on this forums is crazy. I just cannot understand why these headlights in a Jeep are still stock. Too many after market options that no one would be 100% happy with? Costs for Jeep to change set-ups? History?...I dunno.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Oops. I didn't respond to your question about whether they are easy to install. The answer is YES. It will require you to remove the front grille, which is just held on by six retainer clips all accessible from the very top of the grille (the portion which is normally concealed when the hood is down). This is very simple. You just get a flat screwdriver and pop up and out the center of the clip, then pop out the housing that it was pushed into. Sometimes the entire thing comes out at same time. Super easy. Google or Youtube if I am not explaining it well enough. Second, you will need to remove each headlight bezel, which is held on by (4) small, and I mean SMALL, torx screws. I ended up dropping and losing two of them in the process, mostly because I am clumsy and have fat fingers! A quick trip to Home Depot will get you some new screws. They are size #6 x 5/8". I got a pack of 11 of them Crown Bolt #6 x 5/8 in. Phillips Pan-Head Sheet Metal Screws (11-Piece per Pack)-24801 - The Home Depot for about a buck. Don't worry about the fact that they are silver instead of black like OEM, as these are concealed when you put the grille back on anyway. Additionally, they have a Phillips head instead of torx head on the OEM ones. Perhaps you have steadier hands than mine, so this may not be an issue, but if it is, the above info will save you time when looking for replacements.

As for actually installing the lights, it is simple plug n play. Just unplug the originals, plug in the anti-flicker harness, and plug the other end into the new lights. It doesn't get any easier. From start to finish, it takes maybe 20 minutes tops for the entire process.

I have heard of some people using plastic cable ties to tie the wiring up behind the lights. I just pushed mine back in behind the headlight assembly and everything has worked as it should.

·
Super Moderator
14,533 Posts
Wow @IA Rubicon thank you for the kind words. I have a couple areas that I focus on due to my past and I try to give good feedback based on experience and fact. (for example, you won't see me in the supercharger thread) :beerdrinking:

As for the LED headlights, there are a few that are really pretty good, the Trucklites, KC's, Peterson's, and Q-tec's then there is the JW Speakers which are even better but very expensive. Some people don't have any issues with the Trucklite artifacts, but I didn't like them (just my opinion). There aren't any complaints of that nature on the Q-tec's so they are easy to recommend. And I have been able to see them side by side so that's where I feel comfortable recommending them.

Most probably won't have an issue with either one. And the Trucklite's do have the heated version for the heavy winter drivers...

The HID conversions aren't legal and not recommended. If you want legal HID it's about a $1000 investment to do it right.

Good luck!

·
Registered
91 Posts
You're not going to get much "brighter" but you can get whiter and better focused. Your going to hav to give up a couple days pay to finance it tho. $500 and up if you want something that actually makes difference.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
While my eyes are "Poor" I kinda learned my lesson on lights with the TJ...yes I "over did it" IMO with the lights.

I did put a set of silver stars in the '12 Jk and an LED fog replacement light in my aftermarket bumper...it is "enough" for my use. If I were on the highway more at night...I might have a different opinion....GOOD LUCK!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts