Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Broke this Fabtech rear trac bar today.

2003 with 6" long arm lift. Installed in '04. Just turned left into a parking lot and "bang", errr....I mean "BANG!"

Rear got a wobbly, but made it home.
Searched for similar events on this forum, but found none.
Anyone with similar experience?

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts

Broke this Fabtech rear trac bar today.

2003 with 6" long arm lift. Installed in '04. Just turned left into a parking lot and "bang", errr....I mean "BANG!"

Rear got a wobbly, but made it home.
Searched for similar events on this forum, but found none.
Anyone with similar experience?

The good news is it broke exactly where it was supposed to. Kind of a goofy design though.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
That's one heck of a bend in that track bar... whoa..... got pics of the Jeep? Looks like thin material, too..... can't really tell though.. I hope it wouldn't be.

Welcome to WF.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got a call promptly this morning as soon as Fabtech opened. The tech manager gave me all the part numbers and exactly what I needed to replace the broken part (now improved model) and replace all the bushings. Remember, this is a 10 year old jeep, and parts wear. Answered all my questions and was very helpful. Got the parts ordered and on the way.

2 thumbs up to Fabtech!

thanks

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Given where it cracked, i suspect someone burned a bit deep on the weld at the end of that gusset. Maybe dimpled/heat treated a weak spot into it. Like you said though, 10 years is a good run for something that sees that much stress.

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
Given where it cracked, i suspect someone burned a bit deep on the weld at the end of that gusset. Maybe dimpled/heat treated a weak spot into it. Like you said though, 10 years is a good run for something that sees that much stress.
The depth of weld would have not affected it nearly as much as the design. The gusset imparts all of the lateral loads right to the end of where the gusset stops and the HAZ just helped it along slightly.

A similar design in a front application would have failed much sooner due to higher forces.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts