Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want some feed back on a left kit for my jeep. PO had stock suspension with 6" shackles. looking into "rough country"

4" without shackles

or 4.5" kit with boomerang shackles +$100

will i absolutely need a SYE?

how hard should it be to do by myself?

Im running 33's

Attachments

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
It's not bad if you aren't in a hurry...I did mine with no help in a weekend, front one day and rear the next. I took my time.. Soak all your bolts with pb blaster or something similar. It helps to have a 4" grinder to cut off any stubborn bolts, pretty sure you don't reuse any hardware except maybe Pittman arm nut? I don't have air tools so have a breaker bar handy and some ratchets and wrenches, jack stands, jack, etc. I went with the 4" rough country but would go with the 4.5" military's with boomerang shackles- stock shackles are a little on wimpy side if you plan to off road. I'm still on the stockers. I try MOST things once and in hindsight I'm glad I didn't pay anyone lol. I would recommend the SYE and new driveshaft, I lost my universal on an offramp and it was not fun.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
You can do it yourself, I did mine in about an afternoon and a full day. You may need a SYE, you may not, everybody's jeep is different. To do everything yourself you're going to need everything that Steve mentioned, breaker bars, grinder, sawzall, full ratchet wrench set, PB Blaster, two jack stands, and a speedy jack. I can't recomend a kit because I don't have one that big.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't do a lot of off-roading right now. So if I can skip the dye and driveshaft I will for now because I'm low on cash but need my jeep since I snapped one of my leafspring

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
What size are your tires and what do you plan on doing after the lift? This info will help others add info to the thread for you to make a better decision.

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
Both of those kits include a TC drop. A SYE and drive-line is the optimum fix but, the drop should get you by for a while. I just did the 2.5 kit last week and it's not that hard to do. I went to Fastenal before I started and picked up a full set of bolts, washers and lock nuts.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just street driving I have 33's and want a 4-4.5" lift. Can I get by without a dye and longer drive shaft as long as I don't do any off-roading?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I installed a rough country 4" lift and shackles for a total of 4 1/2" of lift a couple years ago. With their TC drop included in the kit I did not need a SYE. I'm am happy with that kit.

My dad installed a similar RC kit on his CJ 5 jeep. He had to call customer service because he selected the wrong pitman arm. They actually answered the phone sent the right one immediately. Their customer service was very good.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anyone know the bolt size/length for:
89 YJ
leaf springs
skid plate

I want to go get some grade 8 bolts before the kit gets here.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Most kits come with hardware and I'd recommend some any seize on the threads...transfer case drop down bolts, shackles, shocks, were all included in my kit

·
Super Moderator
12,698 Posts
Ya I'm sure they are grade 5. I wanted to go grade 8
Grade 8 instead of grade 5 is cheap insurance.
I always use Neversieze on everything except electrical connections.
If a SYE is not in your budget, perhaps you can afford one used spring until you can afford a complete lift kit.

Someone on this forum referred to 6" shackles as "death stilts".

Good Luck, L.M.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts