Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This post is simply a warning to other shade trees like myself who might fall into the same shoes I was in yesterday. The vacuum reservoir sits just below the battery on my '99 TJ and has one screw holding it in place and one vacuum tube protruding from the engine side of the rectangular shaped box. I was checking my vacuum tubes yesterday (have been having low to no air out of my center defrost vent) and decide to pull on the hose sticking out of the reservoir (couldn't see what I was doing at the time as I was accessing the hose under the passenger side of the jeep). Well, for those of you with old Jeeps like mine the plastic on that little nob protruding from the airbox becomes brittle over the years and it snapped clean off. The maxim "if it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is" rang true for me. After another 1.5 hours removing the battery plate (had a snapped rusty bolt that added to the time), I had the old reservoir pulled and I ordered a new one from eBay.

Just wanted to throw this information out there for anyone who feels so inclined to pull on the vacuum line down there. There is no way to reattached the piece to the reservoir because it is one piece of plastic. :facepalm:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could you have drilled and tapped or epoxyed a brass nipple into the box and used it again?
That's not a bad idea. Wish I had thought of that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts