Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I did it. I was installing a 50" light bar and overtightened the exterior bolts on the mount. I can feel one of them twisted off the head. It seems to be held in place by the rubber grommet under the mount and the rest or fine so I'm not worried about the mount and the light bar. But I know I'll need to deal with this sometime. Is this something the installers down at a place like 4 wheel parts can help me with or something I need the jeep dealer to tackle, or what? I'd really not try this myself and make things worse. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
take off the bracket and see how much thread is left protruding, hopefully it broke off close enough to the head to get a set of vice grips on it.

Another option would be to put a nut over the threads, and weld the inside of the nut to the shank of the broken screw. This would minimize heat damage to the paint.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you cant get onto it with a set of vice grips the next best without getting a weld close to paint is using some JB weld to another bolt/nut/scrap metal and run it out a few days later.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
One good thing about breaking a bolt that has been properly threaded in and hasn't bottomed out and isn't rusted in, is that it will have practically no force involved in getting it backed out. If enough of the bolt is sticking out, then what others have advised about using vice grips on it will be an easy fix. If the bolt broke flush, there is a method that I use that has worked countless times for me. Using a small, sharp cold chisel make a notch in the top of the bolt with a few taps holding the chisel at about a 45 degree angle to the bolt. Once there is a notch there, move the chisel so that is at a slight angle off of the center of the bolt so that when you strike the chisel, it will force it to turn counterclockwise. As soon as you see it move in a counterclockwise direction, you are almost there. Continue tapping the chisel in the notch at that angle and it will continue to turn. When enough of the bolt is turned out, use a vice grip to back it out the rest of the way.

·
Registered
429 Posts
might try to notch it with a dremmel and the cutting wheel ....

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
The method I described above also works on bolts with stripped heads, even if the bolt is in tight.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
dont fold the windshield unless you absolutely have to. word on the street is that it will never seal properly again

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
You can also try a reverse cut drill bit and an ez out. Sometimes the reverse cut drill bit will "catch" and back the bolt out before you even get to the point of inserting the ez out.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Folded my windshield this weekend for the same reason. Let me clear up a few things
You can NOT access the lower bolt (of the 2 in front) with the windshield folded, only the upper one. The lower one goes straight into the frame around the windshield to behind the dash. You may be able to access it by pulling the dash but I didn't get that far.

No problems "sealing" once I buttoned it all back up. Already got rained on, and washed it with my pressure washer not a drip. Or any more wind noise for that matter. It may just be my jeep, but after folding it down there isn't really a whole lot to mess up. There are nasty metal clips that pull the windshield assembly tight to the frame structure.

I thought I stripped out the bottom bolt, and I may have, but I bought a slightly longer bolt from HD and it went in fine and is holding tight so I think I got lucky.

Hope this helps. Or at least saves you from folding down.

·
Registered
796 Posts
You can also try a reverse cut drill bit and an ez out. Sometimes the reverse cut drill bit will "catch" and back the bolt out before you even get to the point of inserting the ez out.
This...
When I was a Mechanic, this is how we always did it.
Get the EZ Outs at Sears

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
This...
When I was a Mechanic, this is how we always did it.
Get the EZ Outs at Sears
This works if the bolt is not seized. Of course, if it is not seized, then the chisel will work too. If it is seized, using an ez-out could end up with a snapped ez-out in the drilled hole and then a whole new problem. If I get to the point that backing the bolt out without significant torque doesn't work, I drill it out and tap rather than risk breaking an ez-out in the bolt.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts