Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, just picked up my new 2013 Jeep Wrangler unlimited. I drove it off the lot for about 10 miles and turned to park in a parking spot. While turning, I hear a snap and noticed the front driver's side U-join broke! I was NOT in 4WD, and don't understand how this happened. Should this have broke like this? I know not to use 4WD on pavement, but like I said I was in 2WD and never put it in 4WD. Anyway, the dealer picked it up and it is being looked at, but I need to know what might have caused this. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I suppose it could have been a random metallurgy problem with the u-joint. Breaking with no use on it is odd. At least it's under warranty and you don't have to worry about it.

Were you at full lock when you were turning? If the turnstops are set incorrectly and you over cranked the steering that could cause it as well. It's the only way I could think that a brand new u-joint would snap like that. That would be pretty weird though coming straight from the factory. :s

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I was at full lock during the turn, but thought nothing of it since I was in normal drive.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Chinese U-joint....:whistling:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Things like that happen. Even with a failure rate of less than 1%, that is more than zero. If everything were perfect from the factory, they wouldn't need to offer warranties.

·
Registered
571 Posts
In 2006 I bought a Brand New Nissan Frontier Crew Cab, fully loaded... On the way home from the dealership at 9pm I too heard a load snap and then a dragging sensation from the front right wheel area.
The brake rotor had cracked and snapped practically in half and caught on the caliper and ripper the caliper nearly completely off. When the truck was towed back to the dealership and checked back in (the sales manager stayed late and waited for the truck and I to arrive) the truck still only had 21 miles on it.
The next morning I picked up a different truck along with 10 oil changes and a free teflon treatment!
Make sure you get something out of this, dont just let them replace the U Joint and call it a day...

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Make sure you get something out of this, dont just let them replace the U Joint and call it a day...
Or just realize that parts break; that's what the warranty's for. I don't know where this sense of entitlement comes from, but people have only started believing that they are owed additional material compensation for experiencing random events in the past 20 years or so. It's an ugly phase, and hopefully one that will blow over soon.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Or just realize that parts break; that's what the warranty's for. I don't know where this sense of entitlement comes from, but people have only started believing that they are owed additional material compensation for experiencing random events in the past 20 years or so. It's an ugly phase, and hopefully one that will blow over soon.
It comes from the fact that my time is not free. I agree they should throw in a set of floor mats or something for the inconvience. Not to mention when you spend that kind of money on a vehicle and it doesn't even make it home that leaves a bad taste in your mouth. What can get rid of that bad taste ( free stuff ) it also makes you feel better like the dealer and Jeep are sorry and do in fact realize that it is an inconvience to have to bring it back and have to leave it to be repaired with only 10 miles on it.

·
In a trailer in the woods
75,365 Posts
I agree 100%. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
after working at a a stealership for years in the service garage----im sorry to say that the newer the jeep gets the more returns we get---yea they have alot of nice creature comforts and all---but--they are always coming in for service,,,tells ya something from my point of view.

·
Registered
191 Posts
C.L. said:
Agree

·
Registered
124 Posts
will guess : was it test driven by others before you got it ?

I would imagine someone who would put it in 4wd to be sure it has it, and did not have the savvy to be on a suitable medium to do so.
dk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just got back from the shop. (I am in Germany, so it was towed to a Jeep dealership over here.) The drive shaft had a bad weld in it. They pulled it out and saw pre-existing damage to it. Luckily they had a replacement part and I am back up and running.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts