Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to take on this project and was wondering if anyone new of any write-ups about this process. It is on a 98 se 4-bangger if it matters. thanks for any help.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
When you busted the U-Joint did it take anything else out with it? My experience has shown that when a U-Joint breaks it also terrorizes the ears on the axle shaft yoke also.

Here's a pretty good write up on changing them.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/ujoint1/u-joint-1.htm

·
Knows a couple things...
49,078 Posts
When you busted the U-Joint did it take anything else out with it? My experience has shown that when a U-Joint breaks it also terrorizes the ears on the axle shaft yoke also.
:D That's a good way to describe it. :p What happens is the ears on the axleshaft or stub that hold the u-joint stretch out first which then lets go of the u-joint which subsequently breaks as it spins free. So as 1BLKJP points out, be sure you look closely at your axleshaft ears to make sure the axleshafts don't also need replacing. If they do, this would be a good time to upgrade them with hardened inner and outer axleshafts from Alloy USA or Superior Axle. Or if manual hubs would be cool, as are on my TJ, get Warn's axleshaft upgrade and hub kit.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just lost a cap the axel looks fine as with everything else.So there isn't a write up on how to do it step by step?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the help. I was looking for a step by step write up but this will get me in the direction i want to go in thanks.

·
Administrator
12,604 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts