Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well lifting the jeep and everything is going great. Then broke a bolt on the rear upper shock mount. Can't get it out. Reyes easy outs and drilling. Guess my bits suck. Any ideas or help? Could I put it together long enough to drive it to a shop?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Apparently this happens a lot on Wranglers. One of mine broke when I was putting new shocks on the rear. I wasn't even going to attempt to drill it out so I ran it down the road and the shop took it out in 20 min. and was even able to save the original hole and threads. They put a new bolt back in and that was it. Not all are that simple though. They weren't even going to charge me but I threw the guy $40 because he saved me a hell of a lot of hassle.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
You can definitely put it together enough to take it somewhere and have them fix it for you. Like MustangWrangler said, it won't take a good shop much time at all to fix it.

If you have air tools, I was able to loosen the body mounts and jack up the body enough to use an air chisel and knock off the nut that is welded on.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I had one bolt strip the head of the 4 rear shock bolts. The bolt metal was very hard, broke several bits to attempt easy-out. So I took a huge drill bit and slowly drilled out the bolt and welded nutsert on backside of frame. Then I fished bolt into hole (backside) and nut & lock washer it back in.

·
zombie & ninja slayer
2,276 Posts
weld a nut to the stub and wrench it out if you have a welder

·
Registered
496 Posts
i've found that a product called Aerokroil works great for locked nuts and bolts.i do HVAC and have been able to get the blades and blower wheels off of motor shafts that have accumulated over 20+ years of rust on them. i always spray my nuts and bolts down on my jeep a few times a day or two prior to actually taking them off. not that this helps with your problem. just that an ounce of prevention prevents a something something....

·
zombie & ninja slayer
2,276 Posts
Leeroy Jeepkins said:
i've found that a product called Aerokroil works great for locked nuts and bolts.i do HVAC and have been able to get the blades and blower wheels off of motor shafts that have accumulated over 20+ years of rust on them. i always spray my nuts and bolts down on my jeep a few times a day or two prior to actually taking them off. not that this helps with your problem. just that an ounce of prevention prevents a something something....
Where do you get that stuff at

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I have yet to find kroil anywhere around me, but you can order it online. Probably cheaper that way anyways provided shipping doesn't kill you. I've yet to get any, but I've heard nothing but good things about it.l

·
Registered
951 Posts
Company that makes Kroil doesnt charge much for shipping, i buy cans of it often online, no more expensive than buying pbblaster in stores and it works better. They have a number of specialty lubricants, ive bought there gear rope also, had luck freeing up a stubborn shifter cable i had a car that sat a long time with it. New cable would have been 500$

1 - 12 of 12 Posts