Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I broke all 4 of the bolts when I went to install the new Bilstein 5100 shocks I got. I was planning on just welding a new bolt facing down on the plate and leave the old broken bolts on top. But I'm seeing a lot fo people saying that it is just as easy to take the body bolts off and lift the body up and weld on new nuts or atleast get the old onew off.

My concern is with the body bolts breaking. I have a new to me 2003 Rubicon and I don't really know what to expect with these bolts. If I go my original route I would have to take off the gas tank as I would need to grind and weld so close to it. Who has experience with the body bolts on a TJ?

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I had the same thing happen.... sorry for the dumb luck. It took me a L O N G time to drill those out with several bits and a Drill Dr. I wish I had better advice for you... but I would start soaking the body bolts with PB Blaster or the like to loosen up years of corrosion. Then, carefully remove them to lift the rear tub and gain access. Cut out the old blind nuts and go from there. I will be getting in there myself to do the repair the right way very soon. I don't like the drill and tap method since there is NO WAY to get the outer bolts drilled straight being that close to the frame.

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,424 Posts
I got my rear shocks last night, hoping the front arrive today. I'll start the soaking process Friday morning.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Bolts

I had a simular problem with gas tank skid bolts on the axel side. I took a long drill bit and drilled up into tub to locate from above, them hole sawed down tru tub to axcess bad nuts. When done replacing nuts I pluged off the hole with a metal electrical box plate. For future, nuts now have axcess.:thumb:

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,424 Posts
Not a bad idea. If I have issues I might go that route.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Jack the tub up off the frame a bit and use a Craftsman bolt extractor. That's what I did. Actually I had a 1.25" BL so I had room to do it.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me. I drilled out the broken bolt and grinded down the welded nut. I have a body lift so it wasn't too much trouble to squeeze a nut taped to a wrench in there to get the new shock installed. Just another reason for me to outboard I guess.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I had about an hour today and I sprayed the body bolts and tried to loosen a few and they loosened right up! I was so happy. I only tried about six of them but they gave me no problem. I count 3 on each side, 2 on the rear and 2 more in the rear next to the shock mount with one in the very front, is that all of them?

·
Registered
274 Posts
SupremeTeam said:
Ok I had about an hour today and I sprayed the body bolts and tried to loosen a few and they loosened right up! I was so happy. I only tried about six of them but they gave me no problem. I count 3 on each side, 2 on the rear and 2 more in the rear next to the shock mount with one in the very front, is that all of them?
Yep, there's 11 of them total.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So how many must come all the way out to lift the body? I and do I lift the back and do both or lift one side at a time and just do the one side then move to the other side?

·
Registered
274 Posts
When I worked on each side, I'd have that side's bolts out (including the front center one) and I would loosen the other side's bolts. That way, it'll allow you to jack one side up a decent amount, but still keep the body in its original position

1 - 11 of 11 Posts