Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was replacing the cover on my rear differential when one of the after-market bolt heads snapped off. It was broken inside the hole-nothing sticking out at all. I drilled into the bolt and put an ez-out in. Then, the ez-out snapped off as well.

I've tried everything I can find online to remove the ez-out and bolt. I've tried drilling it with a cobalt bit. I've heated it up with a propane torch-someone wrote that it could remove the temper and make it easier to drill. I tried freezing it with canned air upside down to make it more brittle, but that didn't help. I tried busting up the ez-out with a hammer and punch. Nothing has worked at all.

Any advice on getting it out?

Also, the bolt is the one in the 8:00 position on a Dana 35. Do you think I could just slap a lot of black RTV on it and leave the bolt off?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I've done the same thing.... Plenty of rtv and called it a day! No problems yet.
I have a broke bolt in the 6 o'clock position on my D30, plenty of rtv...No problem

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Toss the entire rear end and get a Ford 8.8.:thumb:

·
Premium Member
7,064 Posts
I stripped mine and was lucky to be able to hammer a flat head into it and turn it out ...if not try to hammer a hex bit in there and turn it out with a 1/4" socket that might work. It can't be tightened that tight

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had 2 snapped off that way when I got a used Dana 35. Took a small sharp punch and a hammer to them. Tapped it till it bit, then just tapped it counter-clockwise. Spun right out. Took about 30 sec's per bolt!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts