Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I shut off my new JK (2013 Wrangler Sport S, haven't even had it for two weeks) in a store parking lot and the horn went full blast for about 30 seconds. It also did it when I opened the vehicle later. Starting the vehicle still works, and the horn just keeps sounding. It's as if the alarm was set and I opened the door, but - I DON'T HAVE AN ALARM OR KEYLESS ENTRY!!!

Also, the horn button itself no longer works, huge safety issue. I had to remove the two horn fuses to keep this from happening every time I get into or out of the vehicle...

Taking it back to the dealer tomorrow, but has anyone ever heard of this???

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was the vehicle exposed to moisture through recent rain or a car wash?
Nope, only opened the sunrider top a couple of times on sunny days (it's cold up here already!), and only been hand washed once.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sometimes water gets in the horn and causes it, as 2five was referring to. Try unhooking your battery for a few mins, then hooking it back up. See if that does anything. Maybe it'll fix the problem till the dealer can look at it...
No, it's not random, it is specifically going off when I open the door, fronts or rear, as if the alarm was armed, even though I have no alarm or keyless entry. I did disconnect the battery for 10 minutes, when I reconnected the horn immediately went off. It's an electrical issue, will let the dealer diagnose. Just sad that in of the dozen or so cars I've had this is the most serious defect I've encountered, and in a new vehicle...

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Just sad that in of the dozen or so cars I've had this is the most serious defect I've encountered, and in a new vehicle...
I hear you. I'd be peeved. Or worse...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took it back to the dealer today, they spent a couple of hours and said they needed to order a replacement instrument cluster, should take a couple of days, more likely Friday due to the holiday. When I left there I noticed that the turn signals were no longer working either, and the left instrument readout just had the temperature (no compass direction), and the Step button was non-functional. I pulled over and called them right away and they said bring it right back and they'd give me a rental. So now I have a Dodge Caravan for a few days. Ick.

I suspect in investigating they pulled some wires and left something disconnected, disappointed that they didn't run a check before releasing it back to me. :9lame:

Meh. :( :( :(

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So they replaced the cluster and that did not fix the issue. Continued diagnosis indicated an issue with the right steering wheel control switch (cruise). They replaced that and resolved the problem. They couldn't quite explain *why* a fault in that switch had that symptom, but there it is...

They also replaced one of the rear rollbar speakers that I complained was buzzing, so I have a happy Jeep once more!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ugh, so was doing some off-roading Friday, then light back road driving Saturday, and all of a sudden I noticed that my left control switch (Step/Reset) had stopped working, was stuck on DTE. And my horn also stopped working. At least it's not going off every time I enter or exit, but this is really getting stale. I haven't even had the Jeep 3 weeks...

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Farkin gremlins git in yur lectric sistem and be farkin shit up.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dealer says same part failed again (right control switch). Bizarre; I suspect some other underlying issue that is causing it to fail (unless the part they used in the original swap was not a new part but a returned one)...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
etkal said:
Dealer says same part failed again (right control switch). Bizarre; I suspect some other underlying issue that is causing it to fail (unless the part they used in the original swap was not a new part but a returned one)...
Ok, been a week of regular driving (and some offroading on a snowy trail) with no reoccurrence!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, been a week of regular driving (and some offroading on a snowy trail) with no reoccurrence!
So last Thursday it happened again. I noticed the Step button wasn't working, nor were the radio controls or the horn button.

I called the dealer and they said bring it in and they would contact Jeep about it (since this will be the third repair if they don't get it right it could be considered falling under the MA lemon law).

Today I was called back by the dealer and they said the issue is electrical static because of the cloth seats and the "fix" will be to replace the same switch and static-guard the seats. Of course I don't believe this for a minute and I don't think he does either... My guess is something is poorly grounded as I get static shocks all the time in my Prius and that has never had a similar issue.

Maybe I can get them to replace the seats with leather?

·
Registered
899 Posts
As someone who looked at a Wrangler in 1999 but purchased a 300m instead (big mistake!) that had electrical problems through the 6.5 years of owning it, lemon law it if they don't fix it this time.

The 1999 300m's problems were spaced enough that I could not lemon law it. I problally spent over $3,000 in after warranty repairs before I got rid of it.

You can also search for a thread for I believe grounding issues another owner experienced before gremlins went away.

Good luck and yes I would be upset with this many warrnty issues on a new vehicle too. At some point the "Jeep Thing" fun is out weighed by the P.I.T.A. multiple repairs experience.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, it happened again today, exact same symptoms. This is now the 4th time after 3 repairs, so I now own a vehicle that falls under the Massachusetts lemon law. Meh. I really like the Jeep so I guess I will have them replace it with exactly the same configuration. Maybe they will throw in some extra options since this has been such a PITA. Ok, I won't hold my breath on that. I sure hope there is an order expedite process for this sort of situation, as I wouldn't be too keen on waiting in the queue again... :-(

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems.

They might be able to expedite a replacement. Hopefully they will work with you to resolve this quickly.

If you haven't talked to a lemon law lawyer yet, do it now! Get that free consultation so you know what your rights are.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts