Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in the wonderful Texas weather we have been having, people have been wrecking in the snow and ice. The other day as I was driving , the car in front of me slid on an ice patch, and in order for me to avoid wrecking into him, I swerved over the curb. In the process I broke my front lower control arm bracket. Insurance won't cover it because they considered it to be a personal crash, as I did not hit anyone else. The parts seemed easy enough to procure, but I was hoping for additional advice from someone who has perhaps already changed theirs.
I see that I will need to also need to grind and weld, or find someone who has these skills to help.
As you can see from the picture it bent the bushing and the arm itself, but are they any other parts that I might need to repair this?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
just need to cut off and weld new brackets on. I forget where I got mine from but they were twice the thickness of stock brackets. Looks like you need lower control arm as well and would be smart to change them both when there. Where you get them from is one of those questions on here that everyone has a different opinion on depending on what they happen to have lol. Stock control arms can be picked up anywhere and I think most NAPA stores have them.

·
Registered
332 Posts
yup weld on new bracket. If you are not an excellent welder, have a qualified shop do it. Not something you want to risk coming off again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just got everything today. Unfortunately the suns already going down, so ill let you guys know how it goes tomorrow.thanks for the help.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Its easy to fix, but make sure you do it right. Had a buddy try to weld his, and broke it off twice more.. He should have paid to properly have a good welder do it haha!

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Insurance won't cover it because they considered it to be a personal crash, as I did not hit anyone else.
Be sure to send your insurance company a note thanking them for the information, and promising to aim for a lawyer's Mercedes next time. Preferably one with a history of neck injuries.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Isn't that truth. Insurance companies love to take your money, but have a real problem giving some back.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Maybe you can weld I have no idea, but if not PLEASE have a welding shop do it the first time, there's nothing I hate more than when people think they can weld, and give it a try then bring it in after it breaks again. It's always harder to un-do someone else's stuff than to just do it right the first time, and ends up costing them more because it takes longer. But like I said that's only if you've never welded before. Don't mean to sound crabby haha.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts