Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out this weekend and my rear CV driveshaft broke and had to drive 230 mile in front wheel drive.. Horrible with lift and no sway/track bars.

Can the rear half of this shaft just be fixed or do I need an entire new one?

Pictures below:

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
anything can be fixed, do you have a local machine shop that can do drive shafts?

Otherwise you may just be looking at a new one.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
airspeed247 said:
The cv separates into two pieces in the middle correct? So I would think they could just rebuild or attach a new lower half? Is that not correct?
Anything is possible, just depends on what u are willing to pay. I suspect though it would be cheaper to just buy a new one. U could even save your old one for parts.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Mine broke on the exact same spot. Any idea how it broke? or what would cause it? after i replaced mine (under warranty) I payed a little bit more attention to it and it seems that when the rear tires are pushed up the ears on the drive shaft hit the yoke part Ill have to take a picture to explain it better. Would a drive shaft that is too long cause this?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yeah shoot for the Spicer but a trip to the junkyard and 10$ I would be back on the road unless its some cutom slip {highly doubt it}

·
Administrator
12,630 Posts
Mine did the same thing.. You will also want to check the CV area as well. there are a few parts in there that might bind on you as well.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts