Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I tried using my rear defrost in our recent snow/ice storms, and nothing was happening on the lift gate glass. I went to check it out and saw that the cable that connects to the rear lift gate defrost lines had detached from the glass. No idea how this happened as the Jeep is a 2018 model with low miles.

Anyway, how do I fix this? I assume this should be a warranty repair, correct?

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
You would hope it is covered by warranty, but never assume when FCA is involved. Hope they cover it for you.

·
Registered
418 Posts
If it's not covered under warranty or they give you a lot of grief over it - try using Permatex to reconnect it. It's pretty simple and straight forward.

Reactions: gjk5dave

·
WF approved Offical Jeep Account.
1,574 Posts
So I tried using my rear defrost in our recent snow/ice storms, and nothing was happening on the lift gate glass. I went to check it out and saw that the cable that connects to the rear lift gate defrost lines had detached from the glass. No idea how this happened as the Jeep is a 2018 model with low miles.

Anyway, how do I fix this? I assume this should be a warranty repair, correct?
Hi BalanBro,
We're sorry to hear about this. Warranty coverage is determined by your dealer after diagnosis. If you need any assistance while at your dealership, please feel free to PM us.
Alex
JeepCares

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,859 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It seems pretty easy to fix with the methods above or with my soldering gun and some fresh solder, but I'm sure the dealer would void any future warranty work on the defroster if I attempted a repair. I guess I'll just bring her in first and see how it goes. Such a silly thing to waste time at the dealership for though.

Thanks all for the insight!

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,859 Posts
Have read where others (in other vehicles) broke the glass using solder. Buyer beware

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Mine came off from the passenger side on my 2017 recently. I used the permatex and just yesterday I was able to test it and could see that the repair worked. Now it's just a matter of how long it will hold up :)

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
When I bought my hardtop, one was loose.
I just cleaned it good, fluxed it, and heated up the original solder, and put it back in place.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I used the Permatex on mine. Worked great until the first time I open the window in freezing temps and it poped right off.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have not had any luck with permatex products in general... Theyll work for a while then fail. This is with the proper prep as well. When my defrost detached I got a solder and some flux to repair it. No issues since.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Ok. It worked originally but I noticed it not working the last couple weeks and finally looked to see if it had broken off again. Yes, the Permatex repair failed.

Time for something better.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Time for the Frost Fighter. I'm telling ya, it's worth not doing it again...

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Figured I would share my take on the issue as I see it. The stock setup does not use tabs. The connectors are one piece and are under tension and naturally want to pull off the glass. I noticed this when reattaching mine with permatex. If mine snaps off again, I will use permatex on some actual tabs and install a different connector to allow for some flex/play.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Update: Frost fighter has worked and is defrosting the rear window again.

Reactions: 16whiterubi
1 - 16 of 16 Posts