Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If there is a thread on here on how to do this....I could not find it, so I made my own. I did get some info from another site, but could not find anything here. I figured that I am not the only one that had or will have this problem.

Here was the problem:

Here is what I used to fix it:

8 10-32 x 1/2" long socket head cap screws
8 10-32 hex nuts with nylon inserts
5/23" Allen wrench
3/8" wrench
Flat blade screwdriver
razor knife
drill bits: 3/32" and 13/64"

Here is how I did it:

Pulled off shift knob - sit in driver seat, put shifter in 2nd gear (to get proper angle) twist knob back and forth to loosen and pull off. Mine came off fairly easy but still took a good deal of force.

Remove shift boot.

Take flat blade screwdriver (large one works best) and gently but firmly pry the remaining ring off. There are two clips on the end closest to the back of the Jeep that hold this ring on.

Now to put the trim ring back together:

If there are any nubs left from where the two plastic pieces were together, shave them off using the razor knife. Then using the smaller drill bit, drill holes at the connecting points centered as best as possible. Do this from the bottom side.

Then from the top side, drill out the fake bolt heads with the larger drill bit. Use the razor knife to shave the bottom side of the ring smooth.

Do the same thing to the other ring.

Put the shift boot on the bottom ring, the put the top ring over both. One at a time, put the bolt and nuts on. If one does not go through properly, skip it and continue with the rest. You can go back and drill through with the larger drill bit to open up the hole. Hand tighten all nuts until all bolts have nuts. Tighten nuts just until the bolt engages the nylon. This will keep the plastic rings from cracking and will keep the nuts from loosening up.

This is what your finished project will look like. The right side of the ring in the pic is the end that has the two clips.

Now slide the boot over the shifter, put the front of the ring in place first then push the back clips down. Here it is finished.

This project cost me less than $5.00

I hope this helps anyone who has or will have this issue.

Dan

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
Similar to what I did when I installed my shifter boot. New boot doesn't interfere with the light switches.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I figured that I am not the only one that had or will have this problem.

You're not. Thanks. Excellent post. :thumb:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the fix, I broke mine when putting my body lift on. I didn't get the screwdriver far enough under and pried the top of the ring loose from the bottom on the back two fake screws

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unable to edit original post, so here is my original edited in this post. (fixed pic problem)

This also ended up not being a permanent fix. It did break again and I replaced it with a new boot.

If there is a thread on here on how to do this....I could not find it, so I made my own. I did get some info from another site, but could not find anything here. I figured that I am not the only one that had or will have this problem.

Here was the problem:

Here is what I used to fix it:

8 10-32 x 1/2" long socket head cap screws
8 10-32 hex nuts with nylon inserts
5/23" Allen wrench
3/8" wrench
Flat blade screwdriver
razor knife
drill bits: 3/32" and 13/64"

Here is how I did it:

Pulled off shift knob - sit in driver seat, put shifter in 2nd gear (to get proper angle) twist knob back and forth to loosen and pull off. Mine came off fairly easy but still took a good deal of force.

Remove shift boot.

Take flat blade screwdriver (large one works best) and gently but firmly pry the remaining ring off. There are two clips on the end closest to the back of the Jeep that hold this ring on.

Now to put the trim ring back together:

If there are any nubs left from where the two plastic pieces were together, shave them off using the razor knife. Then using the smaller drill bit, drill holes at the connecting points centered as best as possible. Do this from the bottom side.

Then from the top side, drill out the fake bolt heads with the larger drill bit. Use the razor knife to shave the bottom side of the ring smooth.

Do the same thing to the other ring.

Put the shift boot on the bottom ring, the put the top ring over both. One at a time, put the bolt and nuts on. If one does not go through properly, skip it and continue with the rest. You can go back and drill through with the larger drill bit to open up the hole. Hand tighten all nuts until all bolts have nuts. Tighten nuts just until the bolt engages the nylon. This will keep the plastic rings from cracking and will keep the nuts from loosening up.

This is what your finished project will look like. The right side of the ring in the pic is the end that has the two clips.

Now slide the boot over the shifter, put the front of the ring in place first then push the back clips down. Here it is finished.

This project cost me less than $5.00

I hope this helps anyone who has or will have this issue.

Dan

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Dealer broke my bracket when replacing the emergency brake unit the other day. My fix? They ordered a new boot/ring and installed today free of charge since they screwed up. Like the mechanic there didn't think I would notice?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Happened to me this past week on the wife's 2007 JK. Many thanks for the detailed photos, which helped immensely. I ended up ordering a new Mopar part from Amazon & saving the damaged pieces for a rebuild (we were on vacation at the time, and time was of the essence)

A few observations:

- trim cap on the bottom of the shifter knob popped right off.

- firmly grabbing and twisting the shifter knob from side to side a couple of times before trying to remove it might have helped. No strap wrench was used.

- wrapped some old cloth around the shifter shaft and over the bottom of the knob, used a pair of slip-joint pliers and a tiny hammer. Couple of light taps and the knob popped right off. It went back on, nice and tight, with a smack from the palm of my hand.

- noticed that the top of the transmission boot was starting to split. I'm going back in when my wife leaves me the car for a day and wrapping that with some self-vulcanizing rubber tape.

- neither duct tape nor weldwood contact cement will bond to whatever the shifter boot is made from, in the summer heat and humidity of Martha's Vineyard! (yes, I tried to glue it back together before ordering the replacement part)

- that is a really [email protected] design! But the fix is a thing of beauty. Just wish I could find black stainless bolts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts