Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, this install of the 2" BB and shocks is gonna break me in right. Got the front all installed just fine.....unbolted the sway bar, dropped the axle as far as possible.....and pushed the axle down while using a pry bar, popped the springs back into place. No sweat.....

Got to the back, and 3 out of 4 bolts for the upper end of the shock snapped as we were trying to remove the stock shocks. On the driver side, we were able to drill out the snapped bolt...need to re-tap it I guess.

On the passenger side, both bolts snapped. And they won't drill back out, even using brand new sharp bits. The one right next to the frame rail doens't even leave room to get a drill straight on it.

So the best plan we can come up with now is to just leave the bolts since they're broke off recessed below the plate. And weld in some studs, and mount the upper part of the shock to the welded studs and drive on a nut.

So watcha think? SHould this work? Any other ideas? I imagine this is pretty common on these things....seems like shock bolts snap pretty easy....and the location of those rear ones are terrible!

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
the same happened to me on the passenger rear side.

to my luck i have a 2" BL. because of that i could weld another bolt to the upper side of the broken bolt. and then i screwed off both bolts to the upper side of the frame.
here on the pic you can see the two bolts i welded to the snapped bolts.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So...just so I understand....you welded another bolt to the top of the broken one....then just used the new bolt to remove the broken one?

What did you do then....just use two new replacement shock bolts?

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
yes i did it that way. on top there was more space to weld than on the button.
i used two new shock bolts. but before i drlled the hole a bit bigger and put in some helicoil inserts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts