Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was driving on the beach and heard some banging. Looked under the jeep and I found this :(

This is my passenger side rear shock mount. The welded in fastener (inside) has been broken off. Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this? :banghead:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
buddy of mine had this happen in his cherokee..same shock actually,,,he just had it welded in lol not sure what else to do unless you fab up a mount and weld that mount to there and then bolt the shock to it

·
Registered
817 Posts
weird! my friend's YJ just did the same few hours ago! i think simple welding should do the trick

Attachments

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
weird! my friend's YJ just did the same few hours ago! i think simple welding should do the trick
Mine is a little different. I wish mine was that easy to fix.

Is your Jeep lifted? If so, make sure you have enough bumpstop. Your shock bottoming out may have caused this.
I agree on that one for TLATEOTW's friend.

·
Registered
817 Posts
thanks will let him know

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
I just dealt with this last weekend. Well, kinda sort of. I broke a bolt off in the welded nut and couldn't complete my shock swap until I cut the welded nut off and use a regular nut. I had to jack the tub off the frame and stack 4x4s between for safety while I worked. I removed the 4 rear mounts and loosened the rest so I could separate the tub from frame enough to create the space I needed. You are lucky since you are already at my halfway point and you shouldn't need to jack it up as much. Just tape your replacement nut to a wrench and fish it through the space and you should be able to use your other hand to get it started from the bottom up.

Your other option would be to drop the fuel tank so you can access the area from the rear. I had a full tank so I didn't want to deal with it and I already had a 1.25" BL. I just needed a few more inches to work with to do the cutting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts