Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear passenger shock mount broke off and i didnt even know it.how long can i drive around without a shock?it strangely has not effected anything?it doesnt even sit slouched in the back.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I wouldn't drive it too long...

·
Registered
303 Posts
Spings support the weight of the vehicle. Shocks controll how much bounce when you hit a bump or a pothole. Technically you can drive indefinitely without shock(s), however, the more bumps and holes you hit, the more uncontrolled your vehicle movements will be. ( meaning the more likely you will be to lose control ) You should get it fixed as soon as possible and avoid rough roads until fixed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mine broke too. Lower mount. I can't tell it's missing unless I hit speed bump or there is rear passenger. Still needs to be fixed. Good luck

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello,

sorry to resurrect an old thread, but i'm working on this issue as well and had a couple of questions.

Both of my rear mounts are broken off. They broke on the same trail last weekend within about 5 mins of each other. Luckily, the trail was close to home and I was able to remove the shocks and drive back out safely. I have ordered the replacement shock mounts from Q-tech, it's pretty clear where they need to be welded back to the frame.

The passenger side is straight forward: grind off remainder of the old mount, clean the area to bare steel, weld new mount on.

The driver side is where I get nervous. The issue on the driver side is that the shock mount doubles as the mount (retaining clip, perch, whatever) for the rear brake line and the fuel lines. The new mounts don't have a place to mount the lines. Not that big a deal, they are hard lines and more or less support themselves when clipped in to the remaining positions.

My concern is that both in grinding of the old mount and welding the new one in place, i'll be throwing a lot of sparks and generating a lot of heat in the area of the fuel lines. is this something to be concerned about? My gut says yes but i would really like to avoid removing the brake and fuel lines if i can avoid it.

Does anyone have experience cleaning and re-welding on the driver side? Did you remove your hard lines? Like I said, welding the mount back in looks to be pretty straight forward, I just don't want to blow myself to kingdom come in the process.

All comments and suggestions are appreciated

Regards,

GCVPI09

·
Registered
455 Posts
i believe I used this mount https://www.quadratec.com/products/56000_0002.htm
on mine
the plate the lines are on on the dr side should bolt to the mount. it is a seperate piece
when I did any major welding on mine in the rear area I took thegas tank and all the lines except the brake line out.
when I put the new mounts on my frame was also rusted through behind then, so on the new ones a made some drain holes in the bottom to let dirt out

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
when I put the new mounts on my frame was also rusted through behind then, so on the new ones a made some drain holes in the bottom to let dirt out
That is a good point. these mounts trap mud and this causes the frame to rot in this area so incorporating an way for the debris to get cleaned out is a good idea.

As far as welding around your fuel line, that is a bit scary. I'm not sure how much clearance you can get by unclipping the lines from the frame mounts. If you cn get them a few inches away and cover in a welding blanket you should be ok.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts