Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 unlimited and have broken my tail gate twice within six months. The hinge hyperextends, which breaks the plastic, and the tail light.

I love my jeep but this is getting old! Not to mention expensive to fix. I keep having to pull money that would be used for upgrades to fix a dumb problem.

Anyone know how to stop this from happening again?

ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
I have a 2012 unlimited and have broken my tail gate twice within six months. The hinge hyperextends, which breaks the plastic, and the tail light.

I love my jeep but this is getting old! Not to mention expensive to fix. I keep having to pull money that would be used for upgrades to fix a dumb problem.

Anyone know how to stop this from happening again?
I just checked the hinge on one of our company rigs and it looks like it would take a lot of force to hyper extend that! Are the factory style stops in place? Can you snap a few pictures of the inside of your hinges? I haven't heard of this issue before and I'd like to do a little more research!

-Ryan

Registered

ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
Yep. Its not the "stopper" that is suppose to hard-stop the swinging tailgate, its the hinges. The OP has a 2012, which means he has the old style hinges. To be really fixed, the hinges need to be replaced with the new design. After that, then the broken "stopper" needs to be replaced too.
I didn't even realize that the stopper was part of the design change until you pointed that out! The "newer" hinges look like they would make it very difficult to hyper-extend the tailgate.

-Ryan

Registered
Do you have a warranty? Mine also broke 3 times in a short period but it was always covered under the warranty.

Registered
2013 jku. The 3 breaks were all in the second year I owned the jeep. The dealer never even questioned it and I didn't pay a cent. I have just been much more careful opening the gate since and haven't had any more problems.

Registered
Mine also bit the dust. I had it repaired under warranty and a couple days later it broke again.

I bought the TeraFlex Hinged Tire carrier and it solved the problem.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
2012 JK. I'm gonna look into the warranty issue though. I was careful with mine too. I was just backing up to my house to move something's and boom. It breaks. I want even going fast!
That's a good idea with the tire carrier. I was thinking about getting new bumpers and fenders anyway.

Registered
Sounds like a reason to justify a teraflex tire carrier to me...

Registered
Mine also bit the dust. I had it repaired under warranty and a couple days later it broke again. I bought the TeraFlex Hinged Tire carrier and it solved the problem.
interesting. now that i read this thread i remember having a loud pop sound from the hinge every time i opened the tail gate. since i got the Teraflex HD hinged carrier the sound is gone.

Registered
This picture shows why the Tereflex HD tire carrier hinge stop does not allow the hatch to swing out too far causing the door check to over stroke and come apart. The TF hinge assembly is stiff and it is difficult to get the hinge to bottom out on the rubber piece inside the hinge.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts