Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 jeep wrangle x, dana 44 ARB air locker with 4.56 gears. Well Heres the problem, I took off the diff cover to change the oil and found a piece of tooth at the bottom of the diff. I spun the gears and there is no damage anywhere else just the piece missing from the middle of the pinion gear. How bad am I sitting gents. This is my daily driver and I haven't noticed any real change and Im not sure when it happened. Images are attached I would really like some advice. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Yeah I figured i would need a new ring and pinion. I guess I was just hoping someone would say "It's not that bad you can ride on them for a while" haha
Sure you can. You may get another 4 or 5 miles out of it as is.:) In reality the longer you try to push it the more parts you are going to destroy. Consider yourself lucky and park it until you get another gear set.

·
Registered
289 Posts
What brand is the gear and how many miles did you get?

I agree that you are taking a huge chance putting much more miles on it. How did the oil look/smell?

Perhaps the gears are still under warranty or atleast the supplier can work with you on a new set of pinion and ring gear (bearings too!).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What brand is the gear and how many miles did you get?

I agree that you are taking a huge chance putting much more miles on it. How did the oil look/smell?

Perhaps the gears are still under warranty or atleast the supplier can work with you
on a new set of pinion and ring gear (bearings too!).
The brand was SAG and they have 30,000 miles on them. The oil was dark well overdue for a change and just had the standard terrible smell of gear oil haha. I bought the jeep 3 months ago and I'm slowly running through it and fixing the issues that I can find. So it doesn't give me bigger problems in the future.

Thanks for the replys everyone I'm going to listen to everyone and get new gears today.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I cleaned the diff out and I did see anything but I feel like that's the only way this could have happened.
As a rule when I see damage like this to the outer edge of a tooth It has usually been caused during setup. I've seen guys drop the loaded carrier in too hard when the teeth aren't lined up and crack the edges of the teeth. Over the years I've personally seen it happen 3 times. Gears are extremely hard and will not take a hard shock and they have to be this hard to live in such an environment. At this point it becomes irrelevant and all you can do is get new gears and bearings also just to be safe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts