Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While wheeling today my rear track bar broke. This is the second time it has happened, both times in the same place- the weld breaks right off of the axle. Last time I welded it back, and it that everything I welded is still intact so its not like it broke again because of a bad weld.

Im almost positive I didn't hit anything, so im wondering why this keeps breaking... stress? But from what? I didn't disconnect the sway bars but I dont know if that would have done anything.

Im thinking about getting this bracket this time- It looks much beefier.
JKS Manufacturing: FAB Parts

If you know why this is happening, what I can do to prevent it, or if it has happened to you- then please help me out!

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Pictures, please, so we can see what is actually breaking. :thumb:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is the stock track bar, is it breaking because I have a 2 inch lift? Should I get an adjustable track bar?

·
Registered
823 Posts
It may be due to your lift. I have a 2.5" lift and it came with a new HD rear trackbar bracket. It's an AEV, they might sell them separately if so you should look into it, I think that would be your best bet.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
This is the stock track bar, is it breaking because I have a 2 inch lift? Should I get an adjustable track bar?
That was kind of an important thing to not mention in the first place... Yup, without a new track bar you are going to be loading the stock mount to breaking point at any kind of extension...

Or, track bar relocation... or both...

·
Administrator
2020 Jeep Gladiator
42,805 Posts
I bought my '07 JKU last year and had the same problem 4 mos after I bought it: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/worse-than-a-death-wobble-135460.html
The PO had put a suspension lift kit on it and didn't upgrade anything else. Come to find out he didn't change out the sway bar links and that caused them to invert and put a stress on my whole steering linkage that I believe was the cause: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/wh...n-the-front-end-while-off-roading-171789.html
I bought adjustable links to bring the sway bar level and also replace the track bar for an adjustable one. I think this would be your fix.
I have since installed Artec armor with it's beefed up track bar bracke. Not saying that is what you should do but I just wanted to give another option.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tomorrow Im getting the JKS rear track bar replacement. should I also get the track bar relocation bracket? will that keep me from having to get a new track bar?

·
Administrator
2020 Jeep Gladiator
42,805 Posts
I'm not 100% sure about that, hopefully someone with more trackbar experiance will chime in.

My experiance has been with the swaybar links. I'd also look under and check out your swaybar. If it is level like the first picture below, then that's not your problem. If your sway bar hangs down more that about 3-degrees, like in the 2nd pic, you skould either move your rear swaybar links forward from your rear axle, or try to pickup some new, longer links.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Beastmaster said:
I bought my '07 JKU last year and had the same problem 4 mos after I bought it: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/worse-than-a-death-wobble-135460.html
The PO had put a suspension lift kit on it and didn't upgrade anything else. Come to find out he didn't change out the sway bar links and that caused them to invert and put a stress on my whole steering linkage that I believe was the cause: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/why-you-want-to-run-longer-sway-bar-links-in-the-front-end-while-off-roading-171789.html
I bought adjustable links to bring the sway bar level and also replace the track bar for an adjustable one. I think this would be your fix.
I have since installed Artec armor with it's beefed up track bar bracke. Not saying that is what you should do but I just wanted to give another option.
BADASS, looks like it could take a beating!

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
OP. Yup, you will need to grind off ALL of the old shit, buff off all the paint and then weld on the new bracket. The JKS one in the link on your first post looks to be a good one, RK makes a good one, and I am sure there are several others that will be much better than the stock one. Make sure you are up to the task, or get some one that is a competent welder to do the job. I wouldn't want to trust my life to something this important if I wasn't capable of making it trustworthy. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
tomorrow Im getting the JKS rear track bar replacement. should I also get the track bar relocation bracket? will that keep me from having to get a new track bar?
Yes, get the relocation bracket to replace the broken one. And myself, I would just go ahead and get the new trackbar also

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
IMO the 2" lift didn't cause the OPs trackbar bracket to fail. The axle mount on the JKs is known to be weak. Aftermarket lift kits sometimes feature a trackbar bracket to correct the roll center. The added benefit is it reinforces the axe mount.

Based on the pics of the broken mount and the trackbar bushing, there is more to the story than what the OP is telling us. LOL

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts
silversport said:
imo the 2" lift didn't cause the ops trackbar bracket to fail. The axle mount on the jks is known to be weak. Aftermarket lift kits sometimes feature a trackbar bracket to correct the roll center. The added benefit is it reinforces the axe mount.

Based on the pics of the broken mount and the trackbar bushing, there is more to the story than what the op is telling us. Lol
x2

TF's track bad relocation and brace. It's main purpose is geometry but the added axle tube U-clamp and lca bolt mount adds some strength.
My guess it was f***** to begin with and not corrected a failed again.
Grind away the old crap like mentioned and have a HD mount welded on.
A adjustable track bar will center the axle but had nothing to do with what happened.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
IMO the 2" lift didn't cause the OPs trackbar bracket to fail. The axle mount on the JKs is known to be weak. Aftermarket lift kits sometimes feature a trackbar bracket to correct the roll center. The added benefit is it reinforces the axe mount.

Based on the pics of the broken mount and the trackbar bushing, there is more to the story than what the OP is telling us. LOL
You are probly 100% correct, but he still needs new HD bracket welded on.:thumb: And he probly should install new HD trackbar to keep things sanitary.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
You are probly 100% correct, but he still needs new HD bracket welded on.:thumb: And he probly should install new HD trackbar to keep things sanitary.
I agree with you there. Since he needs to put a new bracket on he needs to go "balls deep". LOL

1 - 20 of 37 Posts