Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
lately I've been obsessing about the JLU, and have been doing tons of research and searching all the cars.com websites looking at prices and I'm finding the low optioned Rubi's for about $48K on up

I currently have a 2016 Explorer with about 84,000 that has been absolutely flawless and still runs and feels like it did when we got it new, so I went and checked out the Ford site to see what prices are on the new Broncos and was pleasantly surprised ....I built this Base model with the Sasquatch pkg with the 2.7 V6 300hp 400 fpt with 10 speed auto
for only $44.5馃槻

I doubt I will have the patience to wait for them but damm I am tempted

Registered
i think the bronco is going to be great but people compare it to a wrangler and that's just not the case, the bronco is a IFS vehicle and should be compared to its toyota rivals. Jeep is the only solid front axle vehicle on the market. im sure the bronco will be great for 90% of offroading but it comes down to what you plan to do with your rig.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
i think the bronco is going to be great but people compare it to a wrangler and that's just not the case, the bronco is a IFS vehicle and should be compared to its toyota rivals. Jeep is the only solid front axle vehicle on the market. im sure the bronco will be great for 90% of offroading but it comes down to what you plan to do with your rig.
yeah, seems much more for overlanding than extreme rock crawling.....but must admit I am impressed by the prices and what you get for under $45K

comes with some really good tech for the money.

I love the JLU, but here in Temecula. Ca I see about 10 a day if I'm out and about, but still want one lol

Registered
As has been said here, if you鈥檙e shopping for a Bronco you ought to be cross shopping the new 4 Runner, the new Defender, etc. If you want a hard core off roader / workhorse (a SFA vehicle) with the stock off road capabilities that a Wrangler brings to the table, then a Wrangler is your only choice if you want to buy new. If you don鈥檛 need the off road chops of the Wrangler but want a workhorse, the Ford Super Duty and Ram HD are the only other SFA vehicles that are for sale new. OTOH, if you just want a convertible, there are even car based choices out there with AWD and fully independent suspensions.

Registered
As others have said, just because your Bronco has factory 35鈥檚, front and rear lockers, coilovers, front dig, beadlock capable wheels, great approach/break over/departure angles, and 4.7 axle gearing from the factory it鈥檚 really not an off road vehicle. Might as well get a Range Rover they鈥檙e basically the same. Also don鈥檛 compare the Broncos capabilities to the lower wrangler trims. The solid axle offsets the fact that they don鈥檛 come with lockers or large tires. Those things really aren鈥檛 important for 鈥渉ardcore鈥 off-roading all that matters is a solid axle.

/s if it鈥檚 not obvious.

Registered
As others have said, just because your Bronco has factory 35鈥檚, front and rear lockers, coilovers, front dig, beadlock capable wheels, and 4.7 axle gearing from the factory it鈥檚 really not an off road vehicle. Might as well get a Range Rover they鈥檙e basically the same.

/s if it鈥檚 not obvious.
do the broncos have front dig?

Registered
1. A fully optioned Bronco on factory 35鈥檚 has less articulation than a Bronco with factory 32s. So, choose whether you鈥檇 rather look cool or have more articulation and flex to maintain traction.
2. Great approach/break over/departure angles and ground clearance until the suspension articulates or you add weight, then they鈥檙e all reduced.
3. Gearing is great with the higher end 2.3 L with manual transmission. Not sure about the 1.5 or 1.8 Ecoboost on the base Bronco tho.
4. It鈥檚 an off road vehicle similar to a Jeep Trailhawk, 4 Runner, Defender or even Range Rover I suppose.
5. I think it鈥檚 fair to pit the entry level Bronco capabilities to any wrangler trim, even the higher end Broncos with real 4WD systems might make it up some of the same trails, but not the extreme off road trails that Wranglers have made their name on. The base Bronco is built on the Escape platform, has electronic traction control and all season tires standard. Those things are really important for 鈥渉ardcore鈥 off-roading but Ford didn鈥檛 include them in the base Bronco. If you move up to the higher trim, larger Broncos, it鈥檚 true many off road options are available to add. I think the Sasquatch compares really favorably to the 4 Runner TRD Pro.

Reactions: Strommen95

Registered
what new 4 Runner?
A brand new one. Otherwise, he will have to shop old Bronco鈥檚, old Land Cruisers, etc to get the same capabilities and ability to modify that the new Wrangler offers brand new with a SFA.

Reactions: m998dna

Registered
I think the Sasquatch compares really favorably to the 4 Runner TRD Pro.
Ignoring the various things you said that are just conflating the Bronco sport and the Bronco, this is a pretty silly comparison. Ford has a DIRECT competitor to the TRD 4Runner in the Bronco lineup... it鈥檚 the stock (non sasquatch)black diamond and it matches the TRD 4runner鈥檚 specs almost exactly. There are two (eventually three with the warthog) more trims above the black diamond that have further off road capability, along with the Sasquatch which adds significantly more on any trim.

Registered
Ignoring the various things you said that are just conflating the Bronco sport and the Bronco, this is a pretty silly comparison. Ford has a DIRECT competitor to the TRD 4Runner in the Bronco lineup... it鈥檚 the stock (non sasquatch)black diamond and it matches the TRD 4runner鈥檚 specs almost exactly. There are two (eventually three with the warthog) more trims above the black diamond that have further off road capability, along with the Sasquatch which adds significantly more on any trim.
Tongue in cheek of course, we all know where we stand on this. Am I poking Ford for slapping the Bronco nameplate on an Escape? Yes. 100%. Jeep would never do that with the Wrangler name, for good reason, it鈥檚 sacred. As for whether the Bronco can keep pace with the TRD Pro 4 Runner, time will tell. At this point, Ford is just hyping the Bronco and producing nothing. What we have seen, actual hard evidence from photos and videos from the Rubicon Trail and pics at the hotel afterward, show a Bronco with all the damage you鈥檇 expect from a Mass produced light duty IFS 4X4. The 4 Runner is a proven bulletproof rig and the newest TRD Pro is the best one yet. The Bronco is certainly a direct competitor to the Toyota and I鈥檓 looking forward to that comparison test.

Registered
I'm actually a big fan of Ford. I've owned way more Fords than I have Jeeps over the years. But I just can't get excited for the Bronco. Yes, there are some really cool features/options about it. And I'm sure Jeep may copy or incorporate some of those into the Wrangler on future models. But no matter how you configure it, they just look so vanilla to me. The one feature I simply cannot get past are the black fender flares like the OP's rendering shows. I'm sorry, but that just looks so cheap to me. It just takes away from the whole design of the vehicle. I actually kinda like the retro look overall. But good lord, those fender flares have to go. But I'm sure there are Bronco fans out there that hate the Jeep fenders too. That being said, I'm excited to see what lies ahead for the Wrangler with a new player in the game.

Registered
So they call it a Sasquatch level because very few people have actually seen one? Kinda a mouthful anyway, think I鈥檒l just go with quatch.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
yeah, it will probably never compete with the JL in the extreme rock crawling dept, but I've seen some YouTube vids out there and this thing is an impressive adventure vehicle, built more like a Baja racer but definitely has some really cool tech and it does have that Jeep style with the removable doors and roofs that you can't do in a 4runner.....
Built a very capable vehicle for $44.5K so this should be good news to any off-roader that competition will help keep prices in check for sure.....That birds eye camera on the Bronco is pretty cool....hopefully if anything it forces Jeep to step up their game with standard features....If I didn't have to wait probably a year at this point if I submit my order today, I'd be all over it.
Funny thing is I took the wifey with me to check out some new Rubi's and she found herself liking the Gladiator haha
oh well, at least she's warming up to the idea of getting another toy馃槄.....now I'm gonna have to start searching Gladiators
Recently Ford took them out to the King of Hammers and a bunch of youtuber vids are out with ride alongs

This guy is a Jeep builder and he is blown away by this Bronco....

Bronco stuff starts about 5min mark

Registered
Hilariously ironic how most of the responses here are telling the OP that the new Bronco is not a competitor to the Wrangler.

The OP was shopping for a Wrangler when he literally cross-shopped for a Bronco.

This little scenario is exactly what Ford is hoping for and exactly why it IS a competitor.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Registered
Hilariously ironic how most of the responses here are telling the OP that the new Bronco is not a competitor to the Wrangler.

The OP was shopping for a Wrangler when he literally cross-shopped for a Bronco.

This little scenario is exactly what Ford is hoping for and exactly why it IS a competitor.

Both sides can be correct.

Bronco is aimed at Wrangler, TRD, ect

How much competition is there on something that isn't available?

Registered
I still cant decide if I like the look of the Bronco yet. As a kid I would have killed for a Bronco II.

Registered

Exactly, if you are deciding between a wrangler and a bronco then they are competitors. Hell a lot of these hardcore off-roaders completely replace the axles Jeep uses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 64 Posts