Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, hope I can get an answer here from perhaps the best place to ask this question.

My brother has wanted a jeep for a long time, and I supported it, because I think jeeps are cool.. So he recently bought a brand new 2016 black bear edition 2 door. The first time I was in the car with him for a ride, I noticed it was at times VERY bouncy and bumpy. Now after being in it a few more times, I can say you can definitely feel every imperfection in the road, you can even feel little bumps sometimes on seemingly clear roads. And when we were entering a gas station, the car shook like crazy, kind of flinging me around as if we were offroading.. I can't really put my head back because it shakes too much and it's uncomfortable if I do so.
I haven't complained about it at all to him as I don't want to make him feel bad about his brand new purchase.

I am NOT a jeep expert, so I have no idea if this is how they are supposed to ride? I know they're not supposed to ride like BMW's, but i'm not sure to what extent they should rock/bump/bounce.

Is there anything he could do to maybe make the jeep ride better on the road? Or is this how all wranglers ride? And again, I wouldn't really know, i'm kind of just curious myself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks that was kind of what I wanted to hear as that's what I thought could be contributing to it.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Hello, hope I can get an answer here from perhaps the best place to ask this question. My brother has wanted a jeep for a long time, and I supported it, because I think jeeps are cool.. So he recently bought a brand new 2016 black bear edition 2 door. The first time I was in the car with him for a ride, I noticed it was at times VERY bouncy and bumpy. Now after being in it a few more times, I can say you can definitely feel every imperfection in the road, you can even feel little bumps sometimes on seemingly clear roads. And when we were entering a gas station, the car shook like crazy, kind of flinging me around as if we were offroading.. I can't really put my head back because it shakes too much and it's uncomfortable if I do so. I haven't complained about it at all to him as I don't want to make him feel bad about his brand new purchase. I am NOT a jeep expert, so I have no idea if this is how they are supposed to ride? I know they're not supposed to ride like BMW's, but i'm not sure to what extent they should rock/bump/bounce. Is there anything he could do to maybe make the jeep ride better on the road? Or is this how all wranglers ride? And again, I wouldn't really know, i'm kind of just curious myself.
is he complaining about it? New jeeps ride really well compared to older jeeps. But they still have an off-road suspension and bounce around. Can I assume you've never ridden in an older jeep such as a YJ, or even a solid axle body on frame vehicle. It rides like a truck. It's designed like an old fashioned truck. What you are experiencing is probably normal. But if you are concerned his might be an anomaly you should go drive test drive some 2door JK's to compare. And yes the dealer usually over inflate the tires. So the above is a good suggestion.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Lower the tire air pressure. Most are over inflated from new.
Mine were 44psi. I now run 35. huge difference.
What he said ^^^^
You will read on here that many Jeepsters run anywhere from 28-34 psi in their tires. Some of that will depend on what size tires he has on his Jeep. Personally, I run 32 psi in my Fuel 35's, and could probably drop down another lb or two...but since I drive so much I am trying to keep my mpg reasonable.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Wranglers have come a long way but they still ride like crap, especially two doors. Probably fine.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Check the tire pressure, should be no more than 37 PSI. Admittedly, my 15 Willys 2 door is the worst riding car I've ever owned out of 26 cars (16 were bought new). Even my 350z rides smoother than my Jeep and that thing is 4 inches off the ground, has low profile tires, and corners like crazy. It's just the design, thats why no one builds cars like this anymore. I love my Jeep, I just knew what to expect. If he doesn't mind let him enjoy his Jeep.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Hello, hope I can get an answer here from perhaps the best place to ask this question.

My brother has wanted a jeep for a long time, and I supported it, because I think jeeps are cool.. So he recently bought a brand new 2016 black bear edition 2 door. The first time I was in the car with him for a ride, I noticed it was at times VERY bouncy and bumpy. Now after being in it a few more times, I can say you can definitely feel every imperfection in the road, you can even feel little bumps sometimes on seemingly clear roads. And when we were entering a gas station, the car shook like crazy, kind of flinging me around as if we were offroading.. I can't really put my head back because it shakes too much and it's uncomfortable if I do so.
I haven't complained about it at all to him as I don't want to make him feel bad about his brand new purchase.

I am NOT a jeep expert, so I have no idea if this is how they are supposed to ride? I know they're not supposed to ride like BMW's, but i'm not sure to what extent they should rock/bump/bounce.

Is there anything he could do to maybe make the jeep ride better on the road? Or is this how all wranglers ride? And again, I wouldn't really know, i'm kind of just curious myself.
Short wheel base and front and rear solid axles makes for a interesting ride for sure. Like already stated tire pressure can help quite a bit to make the ride a bit smoother but in the end the 2 door JK rides like a truck, more so than any regular duty pickup as those have an ifs and longer wheel base.

I was in a 4 door JKU a few weeks back as my 2 door was in for some warranty work and it was a fair bit smoother than my 2 door so wheel base has the most to do with the ride.

·
Registered
379 Posts
We traded a '14 Cherokee Trailhawk for a '15 JKU. The JKU does ride a little rougher, even on the 4 lanes, but it is not uncomfortable, even for my 83 year old bones. I'm sure the longer wheelbase does a great deal to help, as well as the extra weight. In any case, the Wrangler's reliability gives us peace of mind on a long trip, especially when we take to the forest roads here in British Columbia, and that means a great deal. - Ted

·
Registered
133 Posts
We traded a '14 Cherokee Trailhawk for a '15 JKU. The JKU does ride a little rougher, even on the 4 lanes, but it is not uncomfortable, even for my 83 year old bones. I'm sure the longer wheelbase does a great deal to help, as well as the extra weight. In any case, the Wrangler's reliability gives us peace of mind on a long trip, especially when we take to the forest roads here in British Columbia, and that means a great deal. - Ted
83 years old and still riding the trails...you're my hero. :worthy:

·
Registered
94 Posts

Not sure where you are from, but the extreme cold here (teens and single temp wind chills) has made a extreme difference on my JK - had me checking my suspension.

·
Super Moderator
10,628 Posts
Several things:
  1. Yes, he should check the tire pressure is at 35 or less.
  2. Yes, there are still much worse riding vehicles out there, like a Ford F250/Chevy 2500, a Nissan Xterra or body-on-frame Pathfinder; a school bus.
  3. What was your brother driving before? Sounds like he may be driving a bit like a d-bag. I can easily get my passengers have open cranium surgery if I hit uneven surfaces too fast --e.g., like entering a gas station at speed; so I slow down in consideration to others in the vehicle. Imagine if he were pulling into a gas station in a F250: chances are he would NOT be doing it as fast as he is in his Wrangler.
Then again, there's the possibility that your brother...just...doesn't...like you... :D

·
Registered
412 Posts
Check the tire pressure, should be no more than 37 PSI. Admittedly, my 15 Willys 2 door is the worst riding car I've ever owned out of 26 cars (16 were bought new). Even my 350z rides smoother than my Jeep and that thing is 4 inches off the ground, has low profile tires, and corners like crazy. It's just the design, thats why no one builds cars like this anymore. I love my Jeep, I just knew what to expect. If he doesn't mind let him enjoy his Jeep.
37 PSI is way too much. 30-32 PSI is more reasonable.

·
Registered
379 Posts
We keep the Altitude inflated to 35-36 psi cold and that's about the same as we did the '14 Cherokee Trailhawk. It gives us good mpg (19-19.6) along with a reasonable ride on paved highways, certainly not too choppy. - Ted

1 - 20 of 30 Posts