Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. I am posting this just to see what you guys think. My younger brother has a 94 Cherokee sport. He bought the thing from a used lot and paid a little too much for it. A few months after he bought it, a few rust holes punched through on the rockers on each side. I know these are a uni-body and you cant do much more than a 6" lift to them. Here is the problem. Bro is soon to be a doctor and just got his taxes back. The money is eating him whole. He is very envious of my Wrangler(I have 6K tied up in it) and is looking at buying things for his Cherokee. I justr sold him my old set of Firestone 31" MT's. He already has my spare set of rims but doesn't like them. I hate to see him throw his money away, because he is talking about moving to Florida and never realy uses his Cherokee anyhow(off-raod). Being a student, he doesn't have a lot of cash anyhow. Somebody please leave me some reasonable input so the kid will listen. He is as stubborn as my father and even worse with his money. Thanks!:doh:

·
Registered
879 Posts
do you want him to trade it, sell it or buy a wrangler?

rocker panels and floor panel rust is the most common areas on the cherokee, but they are generally reliable to 300k miles with regular maintenance.
what did he pay?
how many miles?

they make replacement panels for both rockers and floors
any yj tj zj or xj rims will fit
31s will fit with minimal lift if not flexing it offroad

·
Registered
72 Posts
I own both. I have rusty rockers on my xj, it's not a big deal. They're dime a dozen and I can pick up another for $1500 in good shape whenever I beat this one up too bad. They're capable of doing anything a yj can, except go topless.

They're perfectly fine rigs...and you don't have to worry about somebody unzipping a window and stealing any of your stuff ;)

·
Bludger
12,830 Posts
It's hard but you just can't make someone do things because you think it's what they should do, tell me about it, I have 2 sons. He will have to make his own mistakes & you will just have to listen to his complaints. Don't stress over it, he will learn from his mistakes eventually, my youngest is still a bit that way but he has matured & learned a lot from some of his stupid decisions

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Cherokees are awesome Jeeps and can be built very cheap. You don't need more than 6" to go most anywhere you would ever need to, but can be lift higher than that if you want. Although after 5.5" it can get expensive with the longer control arms and such. I have had a bunch, and when you roll them, take off the good stuff, and put it on the next running one you can get for under $1,000.00 :thumb:
Your brother might just dump a bunch of money into something he can't get it back out of like the Wrangler, and have to live with it. That is usually what happens to someone that doesn't wheel a modded Cherokee. I get my moneys worth off road. A modded Cherokee does not have the value of a Wrangler.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts